• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Wiper Thread - Yes Searched

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
I think I have come to the conclusion of my problem but I just want to double check.
Recently purchased a 96' XJ. The night I tested it out the wipers worked (hi/lo/intermed). Took it in for a pre-safety a week later. No front wipers or spray nozzles so the mechanic start probing around with his little test light, all fuses check out ok. So I am thinking shit, need a motor.

Drive it home to my house (45mins away) and for shits and giggles decide to try the wipers out. And they work flawlessly on all speeds and the spray nozzles are working. So I had a sigh of relief. Go back the next morning, no wipers (n)

Drive it to my buddies house in the pissing rain without wipers (read: SCARY). We changed all the brakes and take the cowl off to inspect the connection at the motor. The cowling is all dry inside, the connections do not look corroded at all, figured it could have been a bad ground. Tinker with the wipers some more and they still don't work. Pissed off reinstall the cowl, take the jeep around the block to make sure the brakes are working...drive it back home in a light rain and the wipers started working again, flawless on all speeds and the sprayers are working.

Shut it off for the night, and same thing, no wipers. It's a wierd problem, it seems like they only work once the truck is fully warmed up but I don't see how that has anything to do with it because it's not like the motor needs to warm up lol. Perhaps it is because I am using the multi-switch (ie. signalling when I am driving and the connection contacts start working after a while but what do I know)

Please don't bash me too bad, first post and all :laugh:

I read about plugging the boxes directly into each other under the dash. I haven't tried that yet but does it sound like it's the possible culprit? I think a bad motor is out of the equation. Where do I check exactly for a bad ground on the motor. Because I saw that circular connector and I don't see any seperate ground, I traced the wires and they just get added back into the main loom. No easily visible ground to my knowledge...

My money is currently on the switch what do you guys think?

if the motor was bad the washers wold still squirt. i would check the connections at the delay module. sometimes it isnt a good connection. you can also take it out of the harness and bypass it to see if the wipers will function

Ok I'll check the pieces under the dash tomorrow... no working light right now. If the underdash bypass works, how many pieces am I looking at replacing if something is timmied? Just the 2 pieces disconnected to complete the bypass?

Back