• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Radiator Hose Replaced = Faster Leeking?

Logan-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings:

I thought my lower radiator hose had a leek. it was really soft, and looked to be from the factory.

It really did look like the hose was leeking slowly.

I replaced the hose, and put on the nicer kind of clamps.

How tight do the clamps need to be?

After the replacement the leek is now 10 to 20 times as bad. Before, maybe two or three ounces would leek out after I turned the engine off.

Now, as soon as I fire up the 4.0 it starts leeking much faster.

I am going to go to the garage now and tighten down on the clamps and see if that does anything.

Regardless of the hose problem - I bought a new radiator at MOOSE radiators in seattle. I just want everyone to know that they are GREAT.

They gave me 50% off because I live in seattle and they didn't have to ship it to me. They dropped it off 30 miles away from their shop when I was at work. Just called me and I ran downstars to grab it.

It was like 90 bucks.

My camera for some reason won't turn on. i think it is the USB charger i've been using, but i'll take some pictures with my phone and post them up shortly.

Aside from the lower radiator hose, are there any other common leeking areas?

My jeep is basically all original parts.

4x4
217xxx
aw-4
np-231

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insight!

Possible areas to look for leaks (you may find leeks in your garden or in the produce section of the grocery store):

Water pump weep hole (could leak onto lower hose and drip off lower hose LOOKING like a leak from the hose).

Water pump gasket (Same deal)

Water pump bearing area (ditto)

Coolant leaking from (possibly cracked) t-stat housing ON to lower rad hose. (double ditto)

The other possibilities are that the lower hose is the wrong size, the clamp is not on correctly (outside the flared area of the inlet/outlet) or not tight enough OR that the inlet itself on the $90 radiator is cracked or otherwise mis-shapened (you usually get exactly what you pay for).

It shoud be as tight as you can "resonably" tighten it with a screwdriver or nutdriver. A poorly fitted hose tightened too much can distort the hose, the clamp or the inlet and cause a leak.

Haha it's been a long week / weekend, havn't had a day of in .... 9 or 10 days?

haha the new radiator is advertised at $170, and it isn't installed.

I'm trying to get the factory rad running again. I'm going to go poke around the water pump etc. thanks for the ideas.

The hose is the right size and is clamped inside the flared area of the inlet / outlet.

I'm going to go check the leak. :cheers:

I'd find it hard to believe that your water pump or T-stat housing could leak onto your lower radiator hose, unless you are parked way off camber....

Make sure you replace your radiator cap....that is a more likely culpret.

Hmmm upon further investigation it looks like the hose is not leaking anymore, or never was?

I know for sure the coolant isn't leaking up through the radiator cap, because when I fill it up now it will start to leek below.

From under the heep, it looks like the area direcly below the radiator on the drivers side is steadly dripping.

Should i just go ahead and install the new radiator, or is there another likely culprit?

I'm beginning to think the actual radiator is leaking

I wasn't sure if the radiator was actually bad, but I do plan on smashing the hell out of whatever radiator is in the jeep eventually so I decided to get it. I live close to MOOSE radiator, retailed for 170, got it to me for 80 bucks.

I was wondering if the fluid will all leek out of the trans when I take apart the fittings.

Secondly, If the fluid doesn't leek out, do I need to re-install the lines before I drive to work in 11 hours?

no all the fluid will not leAk out when lines are disc.
secondly unless your work is less than 100 feet away from your house, yes once you start the engine it will start pumping fluid out of those lines

Haha thanks for your input ken.

I just disconnected them w/ a 20 gallon bucket under the jeep, so whatever was gonna go could go. Ended up a few shots came out.

:cheers:

Back