• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non abs44 into abs cherokee

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998xj with a dana 35 with abs, my friend has a non abs 44 out of an 87 cherokee, and a abs 8.25, which one should i get? which one would be an easier swap? He wants 350 for the 44, and 150 for the 8.25

I just called him, and he said that their is actually no ABS on either of the axles. That sucks for me:( So what does everyone else do with their abs on an axle swap? Im thinking about going with the 8.25

I swapped from a d35 to a c8.25 and just pulled the ABS fuse. Actually pulled the fuse before the swap after the first time I went off road and couldn't get stopped going down a steep bank cause the ABS was doing it's thing.

I know you mentioned you want to keep the ABS but if you're going to be off road you'll want to diconnect it anyway.

Do either of the axles have posi? That would be a huge advantage assuming either are the correct gear ratio....Al

I swapped from a d35 to a c8.25 and just pulled the ABS fuse. Actually pulled the fuse before the swap after the first time I went off road and couldn't get stopped going down a steep bank cause the ABS was doing it's thing.

I know you mentioned you want to keep the ABS but if you're going to be off road you'll want to diconnect it anyway.

Do either of the axles have posi? That would be a huge advantage assuming either are the correct gear ratio....Al
'
Hey Al thanx for responding, I dont think that they have posi, and i was not aware that their was a "correct" gear ratio, could you please shine a little light their for me? Because im a little confused, basically i want to do a simple axle swap, so that later on i can run 35's, I know that the 8.25 that he has came out of a 96 or a 97, im not sure? But what should i be looking for?

Your profile says you have an '87.
IMO, Earlier Cherokees brakes aren't strong enough to safely stop the Jeep with larger & heavier tires than stock so you might want to upgrade the master cylinder to something newer and stronger. We have both an '89 & '96. The nearly stock '89 brakes scare me compared to the '96.
From what I have learned here (NAXJA), the Dana 44 is slightly stronger than a 29 spline 8.25 that replaced the 27 spline 8.25 sometime in mid '96, but the only way to tell a 27 from a 29 is to pull the cover and count splines.

Going to 35's will require major modification, so do your research before you start spending :).
Beware of "friends" that want to build their dream rig with your $$.

The "correct" gear ratio will be the same that you have in the front axle. Assuming you have 4wd. I know kids who put the 35's on Wranglers only to find out they need at least 488's to pull em and wind up only changing the rear gears thus making it "non-functional" in 4wd. Great if you're only mallcrawling. ;)...Al

So their is no easy axle swap that i can do, and still keep abs? I eventually would like to run 35's

I swapped in an '87 D44 and kept my ABS on my '99. Haven't gotten around to doing the write up yet, but aside from getting your axle shafts turned at a machine shop, the install is very straightforward. Keep an eye out, hopefully I'll post the write up soon. Still a good idea to disable your ABS when offroad though.

Fawk ABS. You dont need it if you know how to drive anyways.

Yeah your right I have noticed that when im on a steep hill my brakes completely suck, its almost like i cant press the brake peddle all the way down, but i would like to keep the abs for when driving around the city with the wife, and daughter. So i will deff be looking foreward to a write up.

i am not done with mine yet, but i am converting my '89 MJ44 axle to work in my '99 XJ w ABS with a ZJ disk setup. zj abs sensors are bolt in to the XJ harness

so far so good.

I had ABS rings installed on the D44 axle shafts. You'll have to use the backing plate from your D35 to attach the sensor to the brake assy.

I disable my ABS when I'm offorad, pull the fuse.

Only slightly. I did have to modify the mounting bolts since the axle tube diameter is larger.

go with the 44....
or go to a junkyard and pull a 29 spline 8.25 or ford 8.8..
those usually only run $100....
if the 8.25 is only 27 spline dont even bother....

I swapped in an '87 D44 and kept my ABS on my '99. Haven't gotten around to doing the write up yet, but aside from getting your axle shafts turned at a machine shop, the install is very straightforward. Keep an eye out, hopefully I'll post the write up soon. Still a good idea to disable your ABS when offroad though.

I'm looking to do this myself, I'd really like to see the writeup.

I swapped in a 8.25 29 spline and kept the ABS. What I did was pull the tone rings off a ZJ D35 axle shaft (had those from my ZJ brake swap), had the center machined out until it was only like 1/8" thick. Then I had a small step machined into the 8.25 axle flange back side. It became a press fit, but I used a little JB weld to secure it. You can't just press the tone ring on as there isn't enough clearance between the back of axle flange and the axle tube on the 8.25. Then on the axle I notched the brake bracket mounting flange for the sensor to slide through. Its been over two years and it has been working fine.

Back