• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 options

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone

I have a 96 XJ with a RE 4.5” and I just put in a ford 8.8 rear. I had NO vibes with my D35 and now I cant go 25mph before the jeep feels like a jackhammer. The 8.8 is even shimmed 10 degrees. Please give your opinion on the following options:

1.) buy a SYE and tom woods shaft price ~ 540 (correct my price if its wrong)

2.) buy an SYE and use a XJ front driveshaft

3.) take my T-case out, get the splione count and hunt down a np231 with the same spline count. Would this end up with a cheaper SYE and driveshaft? Or isn’t it worth the hassle?

4.) You tell me

Thanks guys

5.) Find a case with the SYE already in it.

I think other then this you listed all the options. I personally would find a cheap 231 and go that route.

is a ZJ front driveshaft (from a 4.0) better than using a XJ front shaft? I know its longer, would it fit...anyone know how much longer?

So, you are saying that you had the 4.5 and 35 w/ no vibes, right? You put a 8.8 in and now you have a problem. If this is the case then your DS angles are off!! Your 8.8 yoke should be pointing straight at the TC output and down about 1-2 degrees.

Not if he doesn't have an SYE. If he's SYE-less then the pinion should be parallel to the TC output shaft and down about 1-2 degrees.

True. Also could be a 8.8 pinion bearing going out.

Not if he doesn't have an SYE. If he's SYE-less then the pinion should be parallel to the TC output shaft and down about 1-2 degrees.
:doh: I was so focused on the question I overlooked his list of solutions.........:gee: Geeeeezzzz now I feel stupid!!

Im not sure a bad pinion bearing could make the vibes this bad. I checked and rechecked the bearings and seals when the 8.8 was out and everything seemed OK. The angle between the 8.8 and the driveshaft is pretty steep, steeper than it was with the dana 35, which is what i think is causing the vibes. Whats the easiest fix? a SYE and a front driveshaft right? I am leary of the Hack n Tap RE kit, what about the Tom Woods kit?

Thanks for all the help guys...you guys reply quick too!

i COULD just grind off the spring perches and angle the 8.8 (almost) directly at the T-Case

is it worth it?

Im not sure a bad pinion bearing could make the vibes this bad. I checked and rechecked the bearings and seals when the 8.8 was out and everything seemed OK. The angle between the 8.8 and the driveshaft is pretty steep, steeper than it was with the dana 35, which is what i think is causing the vibes. Whats the easiest fix? a SYE and a front driveshaft right? I am leary of the Hack n Tap RE kit, what about the Tom Woods kit?

Thanks for all the help guys...you guys reply quick too!

Alright the reason for the vibes is when you installed the 8.8 you have the pinion angle set wrong.. Look at MIT in El Cajon calif for another 242 sye option, nothing wrong with Tom Wood's stuff either..

http://www.mit4x4.com/

so i just need to cut off the shackle mounts and angle the 8.8 up more. Pointing towards the tcase???

so i just need to cut off the shackle mounts and angle the 8.8 up more. Pointing towards the tcase???

No just the opposite... Since you DO NOT have an SYE the pinion needs to be parallel to the t-case output.. Not pointed at it.. if any 1~2* pointing down is desirable.. If you take some time and research there are options for the 242 just like GoJeep has done with his set up.. But like I said nothing wrong with the Tom Woods sye, but its not the only one out there.. Thus the link for MIT in SoCal... best of luck in your vibe elimination..

I happen to have a spare 231 but i'm not shipping it!

Shipping for a tcase is around $60 - $70.

Thats actually not to bad but i don't want to mess with carrying it to a UPS store and messing with it, even with it on the buyer's dime.

Back