• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 to an C8.25?

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Right now i have a 29 spline 8.25 with 3.55 gears under the Jeep. In the garage I have a freshly painted 27 spline 8.25 with 4.10 gears. Can I gut the 27 spline rear end (except for the ring n pinion) and transplant the 29 spline carrier? Will the 4.10 ring gear fit onto the 29 spline carrier? Would I also need to replace the bearings to fit the 29sp axle? Will I need to reshim after the transplant? I know alot of my Qs have obvious answers but i wanna make sure before I tear into it. Sorry bout all the question! Thanks again

Erick

All you need to do is swap the carrier/spider gear and reset the backlash.The axle bearings/seals are the same.

All you need to do is swap the carrier/spider gear and reset the backlash.The axle bearings/seals are the same.

Yep, but you will need to buy/borrow/make the wrench for the adjuster cups. Pinion depth/tooth contact and pinion pre-load will stay the same.

EFR98XJ: 'Sounds like you've never had an 8.25 apart before.
1) 4.10 gears; the carrier "break" on the 8.25 is 2.56/down. Any gears you are likely to run in a jeep 8.25 will work with any carrier that came in a jeep.
2) The 8.25 doesn't use shims on the side bearings. There are threaded adjusters under the bearing caps. You need a special tool to adjust them(or weld an old front spindle nut to a 3 foot long rod/the adjuster tool is a hex on a long rod)
3) Shouldn't have to replace the side bearings unless they show wear marks when you pull it apart.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes I've never had an 8.25 apart. I always wondered how it was adjusted. Its a relief that I dont need to mess with the pinion. All I have to do now is to make a tool and search to see what the pattern is supposed to look like.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes I've never had an 8.25 apart. I always wondered how it was adjusted. Its a relief that I dont need to mess with the pinion. All I have to do now is to make a tool and search to see what the pattern is supposed to look like.

No need to worry to much about the pattern, just check the back lash now and set the the new carrier to the same setting. Tooth contact pattern should be restored if you do that. You can check it if you would like, but if the BL is set to what it was on the old carrier there should be no difference.

Remember, the pinion is not changing in this swap, the only thing you are messing with is back lash and a possible difference in carrier run-out but the run-out should be minimally different if any at all.

You need a dial indicator(and I would pull a pattern first,just a "comfort" zone for me).

I'm throwing an aussie in her so no need for the spider gears.
The 29sp spider gear shaft, if thats the right term, is bigger.
I said earlier that I found a thread on how to check the BL on the carrier. I was wrong. Sorry... Can some one explain how I do this? Is it with a dial indicator? Thanks

I'm throwing an aussie in her so no need for the spider gears.
The 29sp spider gear shaft, if thats the right term, is bigger.
I said earlier that I found a thread on how to check the BL on the carrier. I was wrong. Sorry... Can some one explain how I do this? Is it with a dial indicator? Thanks
Set your dial indicator so that the tip is contacting the face of one tooth as near as possible to the center where the ring gear sticks out of the case the farthest. Grab the ring gear in one hand and the yoke in the other and turn it until the dial indicator reads zero holding a little tension against the gears. If it moves too much you can reset the dial to zero as long as you have that little bit of tension on the gears. Now while holding the yoke, rotate the ring gear away from the direction you are holding it until it contacts on the other side. Read the dial indicator and this is your backlash.

Back