• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just replaced the head and now I'm confused.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with 82,000 miles and just recently replaced my cracked 0331 head. I yanked the head with the help of some guys here on NAXJA about 2 weeks back and found a crack. I put on an 0331 head out of an 06 wrangler. Since the new head the engine has still been slowly sucking coolant. It does seem to be slowing down. Should I expect the engine to suck coolant for a while? If so, about how long and how much? I also now have a problem with the coolant color. After the swap the coolant in the reservoir turned brown. There is no white smoke out the exhaust and the oil looks perfect the oil fill cap is also clean. The coolant looked a little brown after the head cracked but after I put on a new head, then the coolant got filthy. It is much worse now then before. I understand the normal reasons coolant turns brown but I do not understand the connection between brown coolant and a head swap. Please help.

Using coolant is not a normal process of a head replacement. Clean oil fill cap is a good sign. Did you look closely aroung the cylinders while you had the head off? We've had a couple of threads here of cracks/porosity in the top half inch of the cylinder bores on 2000's.

Using coolant is not a normal process of a head replacement. Clean oil fill cap is a good sign. Did you look closely aroung the cylinders while you had the head off? We've had a couple of threads here of cracks/porosity in the top half inch of the cylinder bores on 2000's.

When I had the engine all torn apart I noticed a small tan line running horizontally across the #1 cylinder wall about 1" down from the top. Once I cleaned out the cylinders you couldn't feel anything. The wall that had the line was completely smooth. I had a couple other guys look at it and they thought that it was not a crack, but now I am questioning that fact.

Last edited:
How does a compression test and cylinder leakdown test look after the swap?

I did the compression test and everything checked out okay but I have never heard of a cylinder leakdown test. What is that?

Compression test is just short pressure. Cyl leakdown pressurized the cylinder to see if there is a slower leakage. There is a little by the rings anyway. I havn't done one myself, but it seems like you need a compressor, and the gage set. Harbor Freight lists a cheap one or the chains probably lease/loan. Murray's has buy it, use it, and return without questions.

Compression test is just short pressure. Cyl leakdown pressurized the cylinder to see if there is a slower leakage. There is a little by the rings anyway. I havn't done one myself, but it seems like you need a compressor, and the gage set. Harbor Freight lists a cheap one or the chains probably lease/loan. Murray's has buy it, use it, and return without questions.
I called the dealership just a few minutes ago and they do a cylinder leak down test for $85 and it will take one hour. I am going to run it over there as soon as I get off work and have it done. I will let you guys know what I find out as soon as I get the info.

Back