• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild??

TXSizedJeep

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i just thought i would get some of yalls opinions on what you think i should do here...
my situation: BROKE ASS Fightin Texas Aggie :) on an extremly tight college beer budget.
98 Cherokee Sport w/ 6" shitty lift, 33s, stock gears and axles, absolutly nothing under the hood (besides the 4.0L), 8mi/gal, low oil pressure, screwed up vacuum, and only 107,000mi on the odometer.

This is my DD and the gas milage (and perfomance) is killing me to say the least. I am considering doing a weekend overhaul or possibly getting a used 4.0 and starting from scratch (kinda). Im not extremly endowed with engine knowledge. BUT, with help, rebuilding or overhauling a simple 4.0 could be done.
Anyways, im working on convincing the rents to help pay for some of this but ive got to come up with a list of things that need to be done, and why.
If i just decide to stick with the lump of metal already under the hood;
I want to start with exhuast and intake, since its all stock, and the cat is bad, and falling off. I figure i would go from the manifold back, new mandrel bent tube, into a hi-flow cat, and maybe a series 40 flow. As far as i know, replacing the 02 sensors could really help too. Next would be the actual engine, starting with the valve cover since it seems to be surrounded by some kind of oil leak, I figure a new gasket would be a good idea. I also have oil coming out of the back end, rear main maybe? Ive been told by a couple of people if im going to start taking things apart under the hood i might as well go all the way. So this is where im thinking about pulling pistons and replacing rings for better compression....but this is where i start to wonder if its worth the $$$ and time, and exactly where do i start?? Replacing piston rings seems like it would be a pretty technical job, and if im going to have the engine in 1000s of peices what else should i do while im there?

If anyones got some good ideas on what to do to start getting the most out of the old box, or even just some tips on where to start that would be great...

and yes if ur cat is bad it can cost u gas milage, same goes for the oxy sensor, and have u cleaned ur throttle body, also check ur coolant sensor, that will cost milage too.

Back