• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 install vs drive shaft length

not exactly on topic for ya, but
I have an 8.8 with a stock front DS and Hack'n'Tap on my 242. Lengths seem ok.

Stock drive shaft bolted in just fine for me. I'm not running a SYE with around 5.5". Did need a long slip yoke because my DS was binding. Length wasn't a problem though.

3.5" RE lift, manual trans/np231, running the stock rear shaft with no issues.

Sorry, Current - 89, RC 6.5" 4.0, aw4, 231, SYE, Tom Woods DS, 35's , thought that if I left detail out people would assume no change to lift setup, just different rear axle, which would answer some things....

Now I can explain what I am going to. 6.5" RC with .5" or 1" UBE.

I pulled my drive shaft last night and it seemed to be long for my current set up so it worried me about the 8.8 wanting to making it shorter. Which I am guessing the UBE will help that.

When I orginally ordered it they based it on the setup not actual measurement(I know bad plan...) I needed to drive it away when I completed the lift at a buddy's shop... Ok ok back to the issue

Last edited:
'87, automatic, ~4" lift, D35 drivshaft...no issues here. It actually sits in the slip yoke further than it did with the D35.

Back