• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lower control arms or drop mount ??

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got the stock lower controls on my 93 xj with about 4" of unknown type lift.

Its got the axle pulled rearward some and id like to kick it back foreward.

Which is going to be best, Adj lower arms, or a drop down kit and use stock type arms to keep the geometry right ?

drop brackets will push it forward and give it a better ride.

ps. i know a guy with some for sale pm me if interested.

Either solution will bring the axle forward. Cost wise it's about the same. The drop brackets are a little more work to put in. I'd go with the drop brackets because you get the stock geometry back as well as improved ride.

with that size lift i would go with lower control arms. if you were to do any offroading over time. your stock arms will fail and will leave you stranded. i would go with adj. uppers and adj. lowers.

any bigger lift i would do both, drop bracket and lower control arms.

Another question ive thought of since looking at these drop kits....

Since the drop kits actually bring the differential angle back down more to stock the pinion angle will increase.
Is this going to cause a problem with my stock driveshaft ? Will a set of the tapered blocks to lift the pinion angle back up help?

I'd do drop brackets and adjustable control arms. Stock arms suck.

As far as pinion angle, I'm pretty sure you can't run shims on a coil sprung suspension, that's where the adjustable arms come in. You get adjustable uppers and that allows you some control over pinion angle. The geometry that drop brackets are really designed to fix is that of the arms themselves to bring them more parallel with the ground again.

I'd inquire about Rough Country's setups.

I'd do drop brackets and adjustable control arms. Stock arms suck.

As far as pinion angle, I'm pretty sure you can't run shims on a coil sprung suspension, that's where the adjustable arms come in. You get adjustable uppers and that allows you some control over pinion angle. The geometry that drop brackets are really designed to fix is that of the arms themselves to bring them more parallel with the ground again.

I'd inquire about Rough Country's setups.

The rough contry drop brackets allow you to run shims to correct you angles. There nice for the price. These are next on my list of things to do.

Last edited:
i have the RC 4.5 kit on my XJ and im running 33's. i just installed the RC drop brackets and i got new stock upper and lower control arms because that is what the chat said would work, now after installing the arms and the drop brackets my pinion angle is high. so does this meen i need adj. lowers and extend them to get the angle within spec?

I'd buy uppers and lowers. Stock arms are pretty weak and now your hanging 33s off of them. That's a lot more weight than the stock arms were designed to deal with. Not to mention the twisting forces from flex.

Shim your LCA or buy adj. arms.
If it was me I would get new arms.

I'm piecing a lift together right now and I ran into the same dilemma. The way I figured it was that if I went with the new control arms I would be strengthening a vital component in my suspension. I ordered new Rough Country adjustable arms, uppers and lowers, through carparts.com. Their website has their old arms pictured, but when I opened them up today i received their newly designed uppers and lowers. All I got to say is man those things are beefy. I only paid 270 shipped for them, not much more than the drop brackets. Hope this was useful.

http://www.carparts.com/ROUGH-COUNT...IT/GP_2010447_N_111+10718+600022309_10618.car

Back