• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM V6 Swap

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
I know I have seen it on here before but after searching several different terms I can't find it!!....

I saw a write-up/article for swapping the 2.8V6 out for a 3.1/3.4, I am working on my newest project and this little 2.(Sucks) has got to go... help is appreciated.

if you were gonna go thru the trouble, you might as well go small block V8, or atleast Jeep HO 4L I6.
and if you did a V6 swap, a 4.3 would be a much better choice then the 3.4 or 3.1. but still IMO, not as good a choice as a small block or 4.0.

ever thought about a homebrew turbo setup for that little V6?

just talking probably not much help lol.

the trouble to put a 4.0l in an 84 xj is not really worth it to me... having to modify the firewall and all..... as for the SBC, I have already had one XJ with the SBC and while I love it... the transmission and x-case in this 84 still have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on them, so swapping in a 3.1 or 3.4 even a 3.8 from a buick (which still have the 60* b-housing) would be better in my situation....

Last edited:
You can easily swap the camaro 3.8. Jeepcomj did it, he is both on here and on comancheclub.com. It is a sweet swap, and if you wanted to the supercharged 3.8 would be a great choice as well, more work for that one of course. With your setup I would do the 3.8 before I tried much else, it will be the easiest for what you are after.

Were doing something similar in my sons rig,1995 4.3 Vortec/4L60E trans.Its a "stand alone" system for easy wiring.

With a 2.8 the 3.4 L is pretty much a bolt in (swapping your stuff from the 2.8, of course) But 3.4 is the easiest replacement, is why GM offers it as a "direct"replacement for vehicle that originally came with a 2.8.

if you were gonna go thru the trouble, you might as well go small block V8, or atleast Jeep HO 4L I6.
and if you did a V6 swap, a 4.3 would be a much better choice then the 3.4 or 3.1. but still IMO, not as good a choice as a small block or 4.0.

ever thought about a homebrew turbo setup for that little V6?

just talking probably not much help lol.

x2 (except the turbo thing lol)

Back