• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking Brake Cables

PBach25

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone even run them after considerable lift heights?
They are much too short to be usable after 6.5 inches. What is everyone doing with this problem?

You can move the coupler box on the frame rail rearward and lengthen the threaded rod or you can use E-brake cable from other vehicles.

Try a parking brake cable from a ZJ on one side and a parking brake cable from a KJ on the other. I don't remember which side should which. They both were about 6 inches longer than stock but work well in a lift. I think that one of the Wrangler cables is longer also.

Get two passenger side YJ cables if you still have rear drum brakes.

I used a passenger side cable on the driver's side and undid the clip on the top of the diff to relocate the passenger side over the DS

I used a couple 95 yj e brake cables and the longer yj brake line that goes from the unibody to the rear axle. To help take up some of the slack I crossed them over to opposite side drums. It is working fine for my 96 sport. I think 97 and newer xjs moved the center mounting e brake to one side and used different length cables.

Any thoughts on getting rid of the cables completely? Wondering if the parking brake will be necessary (have auto tranny....unfortunately).

Any thoughts on getting rid of the cables completely? Wondering if the parking brake will be necessary (have auto tranny....unfortunately).
That would be a really bad idea,plus most clubs require a functioning e-brake.

depending on what year you have... this may or may not help. but the driver's side rear cable on my 98 was not even 3 ft long, so i used a second passenger side cable for the driver's side. i just zip tied the slack out of the way.

Ya, its a terrible idea. E-brakes came in cars for a reason: they are there in case of emergencies.

As RCP said, many clubs require functional ebrakes, and I know my state requires one to pass inspection. Its also a good idea to have.

I have a little over 6" on my XJ, and haven't had a problem with the e-brake cables on my '99

I bought a pair of YJ pass. cables before I lifted, didn't end up needing them. The original ones don't have much slack in them, but otherwise work fine. The YJ ones had too much slack in them, at least the one side I installed before taking it out and just re-using the factory ones.

Back