• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

right rear brake locking up

kcchapman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here's what happened

My brake fluid was extremely low so I topped it off and bled the brakes like I was supposed to, but my right rear brake now locks up instantly when I apply the brakes even the slightest bit, anyone have any Ideas?? I need to get this fixed asap
thanks in advance.

p.s. it's an '88 auto 4.0 d35 rear

Hallo. By bleeding the rear cilinder too hard, maybe you have now a sticky cup inside the cilinder. The same I had a few years ago. A new cilinder is easy to renew.(advisable both) :rolleyes:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
extremely low brake fluid is a result of a rear brake cylinder leak. most likely you need a new brake cylinders for the rear brakes. did you look to see if there was brake fluid all over the rear shoes or if there was fluid leaking out the bottom of the drum?

Mine locked up due to being out of adjustment. The "star wheel" adjusters will freeze up and on mine the little adjuster cable was actually the wrong length which would not work anyway. The best way to make sure it is all good is to pull the drums and grease up the star wheel threads. It is also possible to make the adjustment through the slots in the backing plate, but it's not easy if you haven't seen it all apart before. Best way is to jack the wheel off the ground, adjust the brakes out until they drag a little, pump the brakes a little, check for a little drag again, adjust again if needed. Once you have that little drag consistently, you back it off only a little to get free spin. Do both sides that way.

Back