• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVAP system 98 xj.

killer98xjsport

NAXJA Forum User
My xj is storing codes for a large evap system leak. Last night I smoke tested the whole system and found nothing. I think the purge valve may be stuck open. Anyone else have had to diag their xj for evap leaks? What did you find? Is the purge valve common failure?

Check your gas cap, they do go bad.

So still trying to track down this leak p0455 being stored for large leak. I have replaced the gas cap as well as the purge valve. I smoke tested the system and could not find a leak. I had the though that maybe the leak detection pump is weak and is not building pressure or vaccum, don't know what jeep uses to test for leaks vac or pressure. So if the pump is weak it could think there is a leak? Anyone have other ideas??

did you check the second hose on the filler neck? mine for no reason had a hole in it and couldnt really see it during the smoke test.

I would second checking the fuel tank filler neck area as well. My '98 had a evap leak the day I bought it new. After having the dealer throwing many parts at it, it was ultimately determined that the filler neck itself (where it attaches to the tank) had a crack in it.

A new fuel tank (under warranty) fixed that problem....

I would second checking the fuel tank filler neck area as well. My '98 had a evap leak the day I bought it new. After having the dealer throwing many parts at it, it was ultimately determined that the filler neck itself (where it attaches to the tank) had a crack in it.

A new fuel tank (under warranty) fixed that problem....

I also remember someone on here finding a vac leak on the hose coming out of either the neck or the tank that runs up front along the frame rail..

Also check the small plastic tubes that run down the fire wall on drivers side. Straight back from about the manifold. There is a short hose that connects the two tubes together. This cracks and causes a code. Couldn't see my small crack in the hose till I took it off.

I'm having the same problem I changed the hose/line running from gas tank to container near axle, it did nothing. I'm changing the gas cap today, but I'll also look for those lines near the manifold, let you know what it was...

Back