• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper in the making, please comment

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I'm in the process of building myself a winch bumper. I wanted to hide it behind the stock bumper ``skin``, however this morning I woke up and realized that it will be a complete bumper, and for the winter i'll be able to put back the original bumper and plastic corners over it, with some modifications.

Please give me your opinions, thanks

The winch in the ``cradle``

Winchbumper2013.jpg

The cardboard mock-up

Winchbumper2016.jpg

I'll put the solenoid pack somewhere under the hood, the wires will go through an opening (protected somehow with rubber or else)

Winchbumper2021.jpg

Need a full mock-up on your rig,approach angle is what would concern me.

Criticism: If your bottom plate is solid, you might want to grab a 1.5" hole saw and punch 2 or 3 holes under the winch spool area, and another couple under the winch motor and planetary/brake housing. It looks like water/mud rain/leaves/etc has no place to go once it falls under the winch.
Looks good other then that.

Gave up on the hide behind the bumper when you ran into the "how do I get the roller fairlead in there"? I'm working on that problem myself:D

Need a full mock-up on your rig,approach angle is what would concern me.

Doesn't look like you need to worry much about approach angle, Use plenty of gussets though, and think about load on your line and fair-lead when you lay out your design.

Doesn't look like you need to worry much about approach angle, Use plenty of gussets though, and think about load on your line and fair-lead when you lay out your design.

are you kidding me?
it gives way worse approach than a stock bumper

Thanks guys

I know I'll lost a bit of approach angle, as seen on this pic. However the jeep is now at stock height, I'm going with 33 inch on a 2 inch lift (ok ok not that much lift, but anyway)

Bumper002.jpg

As far as moving it up, it would mean moving the winch forward (it is under the grill, not in front of it), and losing approach angle. I think I'm at the best I can get.

Bumper007.jpg

And there is a opening at each ends, so water and mud cannot stay in a ``pool``

Winchbumper2019.jpg

Any comments on the hooks ? I think I'll move them more in line with the frame tie-in plates

The bumper is done

Hi all

Since the last post I've been working on the winch bumper. It is now being painted. Here are some pics. I'm proud of it, since it is my first ever welding project, but not the last.

Center section

Winchbumper4022.jpg

Frame brace

Winchbumper4009.jpg

Notching for the ends

Winch5009.jpg

And here are some pics of thing to come for the jeep, TJ rear flares, Aussie locker (d30), WJ LCA, 2 inch lift, 33 inch tires, OBA, etc....

wheels001.jpg

Winch5018.jpg

Winch7005.jpg

Bumper008.jpg

I'll probably start a built thread when the fun begins

Last edited:
looks pretty good. final pic of it installed?

Back