• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack tire carrier?

bigbadxj

NAXJA Forum User
I saw a pic of a Cherokee with a tire carrier welded to the stock roof rack bars and now I can't find it! Has any one seen this or have done this? If so I would love to see a pic for my own design.
beerchug.gif

I've seen write-ups on them before. Snag a spare axle shaft from the junkyard with the same bolt/lug pattern as your wheels (and spare) have. Cut the shaft and weld it to the rack, leaving the hub part with the lug studs high enough to mount the tire like on like a regular hub. Once it has been welded upright so the tire will sit on it, get a set of lug nuts with a locking one so nobody steals your spare.

I have a tire carrier on my Surco rack but i never plan on using it. It held a 33 on the PO's rig!

I've seen write-ups on them before. Snag a spare axle shaft from the junkyard with the same bolt/lug pattern as your wheels (and spare) have. Cut the shaft and weld it to the rack, leaving the hub part with the lug studs high enough to mount the tire like on like a regular hub. Once it has been welded upright so the tire will sit on it, get a set of lug nuts with a locking one so nobody steals your spare.
That is exactly what I want to do if anyone finds a pic let me know if not I'll just rig it up.:piratefla

Back