• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 229/NP 228 owners,..

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to know if any of you XJ NP229/NP228 owners or users have/had any problems or concerns with this particular designed transfer case crackling in certain places -I am referring to the fact in my opinion that there is an inordinate amount of unsupported transfer case weight,... planetary gears,viscous coupler ,etc..hangeing off the back of the five or six attachment bolt points attaching it to the end of the transmission-I have recently repaired + rebuilt my NP 229 after a few cracks,stress fractures and now have added an additional double-cardan component to my newly balanced driveline but I am still worrying and viewing all this relatively unsupported transfer case + double-cardan driveline weight as being somewhat more problematic in the near term future-I really like all the options with my ole NP 229 transfer case but I am wondering about the wisdom of contiueing to invest/rebuild this unit-Is there any other transfer cases out there that have a better compact/balance weight and that have about the same low four-wheel drive options as the ole NP 229/NP228 transfer cases-

I will be honest with you... that transfer case only came in old J Trucks and Waggys as far as I know.

You SURE you have that?

..yeah, I originally thought that it was some sorta mistake with the labeling on the transfer case and wrongly assumed that I owned a NP 208 case ,but after a number of rebuilds and repairs ...yes.this is the ole "Waggy" type NP 229/NP 228 transfer case which is casuseing me so many concerns and sleepness nights and is hangin off the rear of the transmission-What adds "insult to injury" in this confusion is that sometime before I came to these NAXJA forums and became mechanically knowledgeable about my ole XJ ,..I was mis-informed and mis-led at some enormous cost by a local mechanic here whom I had alway entrusted with the care and maintenance my Jeep-No more

Scrappy said:
I will be honest with you... that transfer case only came in old J Trucks and Waggys as far as I know.

You SURE you have that?

The 229 was the Select Trac case used before the 242 was developed. The 229 was used in early XJs, 84 to 86.

--Matt

egon said:
The 229 was the Select Trac case used before the 242 was developed. The 229 was used in early XJs, 84 to 86.

--Matt

Ah, well I learned something new! Can you just put a more readily available case in?? Or you not wanting to?

Scrappy said:
Ah, well I learned something new! Can you just put a more readily available case in?? Or you not wanting to?

My 2.2 cents.

I don't know exactly how, but I would have to find a way to put a 242 in it. With any luck, an early 242 might fit. You'd just have to dispose of the vacuum stuph on the 229.

--Matt

..silly me-
"the 229 was the Select Trac case used before the 242 was developed. The 229 was used in early XJs, 84 to 86."-Thanks for the information- This is correct but I have just contiued to repair and replace my NP 229 thinking it was the most cost-efficient route without takeing a closer look at the 242's to see if they(NP 242'S) have a more better supported compact designed transfer case-Now the more immiedate dilemma with my recently rebuilt NP 229 transfer case is whether to wheel it hard and wait for it to grendade again and replace it with a newer model NP 242 or switch it out immiedately-
THX all for the suggestions/advice and information
bxj

Back