• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank shaft bushing

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a new motor into my XJ, the crank in the new motor was in one with a 5 speed. Mine will be AW4, There was the bushing in the end of the crank for the pilot shaft of the 5 speed. With a TC does there need to be anything in the end of the crank? or does the torque converter stub just go into the hole on the crank end?

Thanks
Kenny

I'm not sure about the 4.0, but every other motor (mostly Dodges) I've pulled apart, the pilot bushing would interfere with the torque converter.

If you don't have a puller, you can remove it by packing the pilot hole full of grease, then slipping a tight piece of rod or a socket wrapped in a paper towel in the hole and wacking it with a hammer(sounds redneck/sarcastic joke, but it works)

I think I read that the manual trans crank had the bushing for the tranny input shaft in it and the automatic did not have the bushing. I'd measure the hole and the shaft to make sure it will fit. You might have to pull the bushing out.

I had dealt with this exact issue. I think in my case the bushing was a ferrous bearing of some sort and I tried packing it with grease and pressing it out. It didn't work. The inner bearing race got destroyed from all the prying. So I had a nut that just fit inside the outer race of the bearing and had it welded on there. You can then run a bolt through the nut and press the bearing out. Make sure you clean off all the weld splatter. So if yours is a bearing than this should help, and in my case it had to be removed.

I did take the bushing out, I used wet new paper and shoved it in the hole (like grease) but with no mess. Smacked the end of a rod and the wet paper wants to compress but cant so the bushing popped right out. And thank you for all the replies, I think the motor is ready to drop in.

Last month I had to pull the bushing out of the original engine from my 96 to put in the XJ w/"blown engine" I got for $160(craigslist score). I'll have to remember that wet paper trick next time.

Back