• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle problem...

IslanderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92' XJ, 4.0L, 4wd, auto, NP231, 31"s

About 6 months ago I had a slight "oops" when I went down a dune sideways and hit hard enough at a high enough angle that it bent the front fender a bit and knocked the tire off the wheel inboard. I immediatly took it out of 4wd and limped off the dunes.

I just took a day trip back to the dunes, put it in 4 hi, and thats when a problem became apparent.

The circumstances for this are: in 4wd, useually only under power. I am getting some very loud clunking/banging from the front end. It is actually shaking the truck a little when the sound happens.
I would like to know what mechanically might have caused this. (I know the "oops" probably did in general)

I will pull the front diff cover in a day or two to check the R&P. I would also like to pull the axle shafts, but dont know how.

Answers/info Im looking for:
1) what is most likely my problem?
2) how do I pull the axle shafts?
3) Is it safe to run without front axleshafts and/or R&P?

goodburbon said:
Most likely candidate is front axle joints.

Like the U-Joints?
Would it be safe for me to pull the front axle shafts? Should I leave just leave the stubs in? Or is this a down untill its done project?

the joints on the shafts. Sure you can pull the shafts, change the joints in an hour or so depending on how bad they're stuck and roll with it.

Is the front end still tracking straight? Could you have bent a Upper or Lower control arm mount on the axle? Thinking the drive shaft could be inducing vibe if the axle is off. I know my son hit a car with his 00 TJ (Same front end mounts as stock XJ) and bent the LCA mount on the axle all to hell. don't know if this would induce drive shaft vibes but I'd still check the axle mounts as they are pretty flimsy.

Humor me for a bit...Does it clunk or bang when you are turning? Does it only do it in 4 high, 4 low, or both. Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

The only other thing that comes to mind other than a busted u-joint is a stretched t-case chain. You can check this by simply putting it into 4 high, and while holding the brakes give it gas. If it pops or clunks then the t-case chain is the problem (it may sound like the front axle). Worth checking before pulling your axles and checking the joints. Also run your hands up and down the driveshaft feeling for dents or anything that seems out of place, look for lost weights ect....

bent front axle housing...

with the shafts and carrier out, put a straight piece of tube or something long and straight inside the housing, and take a look...

no, its definately the u joints. i have the same thing. its in 4 hi and i get it in 4 lo too. its pressure on the u joints because they are cracked. mine lessened when it finally snapped, but i feared to wheel with it like that. so i just replaced. no cracking sounds now...

U-joints look fine
UCA and LCA and brackets are fine
housing LOOKS fine
front driveshaft is in tip-top shape
no slipping from chain in Transfer Case with the mentioned test
Drives almost straight as an arrow, drifts a little, but I think thats most likely an alighnment issue

OK im stumped, time to start pullin junk....

Maybe motor mounts if you have the stock ones in there still. Or maybe the tranny mount. Just a thought.

did you actually grab the axle shaft and try to rotate it? if one part wiggles and the end part doesnt, its your U joints, though the bushing will make it look fine.

also id open up your diff and take a look at the r and p components, they could have shifted from the blast

I finally am going to pull off the diff cover today.
If my R&P is toast what would be the process of replacing it, ie: how do I pull the carrier and remove the gears?
Could I replace my R&P with a junkyard one (same gear ratio) as a temp fix to go wheeling this weekend?
I would be ordering a full set of matching gears, probably 4.10's, next week and a install kit if it mine are toast, so dont worry.

why don't you just jack up front axle and rotate the tires one side at a time and turn the steering wheel as you rotate to make damn sure it isn't the joints before digging into the diff.

I will be doing that before I pull the diff. My roomates Camaro has been parked in the garage all week, and he's leaving pretty soon, so now I have a place to work.

DAMN!! about 2-4degrees of play in Drivers side front U-Joint.
Ok, now what do I do....?

Pull out the axle shaft and replace the u-joint. You can do it without removing the hub from the axle. Disconnect the hub from the knuckle (removing caliper and rotor first of course)

The whole write up with pics is either on Jeepin.com or Pirate XJ, can't remember which.

OK WTF is this:
111500209_358120349_0.jpg

looks like some kind of cap... how the hell do I get it off?

EDIT: never mind IM an idiot....

Back