• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypo Run Recce-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went out today to check out the condition at Tinkham and to give the new 37's some testing. It was an interesting day. I locked in the hubs on the bridge just off the freeway...the MT/Rs DO NOT like compact snow. It was a little disconcerting:

010.jpg

Came across a stolen and burned out car (I didn't investigate, but it looked like a mid 80's Volvo 240 sedan). I don't know if somebody is interested in calling the KC Sheriff or WSP:

013.jpg

I followed some snow machine tracks, but I was the only wheeled vehicle to be through there:

019.jpg

About 2/3 of the way to the "Y" I came across this: No way I could fit underneath it without using a LOT of exo to push under it; as precarious as it looked I didn't want to risk it:

024.jpg

I was running 25 psi in the tires and they cleaned out really well, but I don't have much to report on the actual performance in the snow until I get some beadlocks and air 'em down:

029.jpg

031.jpg

My turn around spot:

038.jpg

040.jpg

Whoops. Got a little FUBAR here, had to winch myself out. This was complicated by the fact that my Warn XD9000i stopped working. It would only spool OUT...not much good for me. I was able to MacGyver up a solution, though, by looping a little synthetic cable under itself and reversing the direction on the drum. Now my OUT only winch was pullng cable in. It was a tense moment, however:

043.jpg

Heading back out:

047.jpg

I went over to the East side of Tinkham road and was plowing totally fresh snow. Luckily it was cooperating and compacting nicely:

050.jpg

About 3/4 of a mile in I hit this:

053.jpg

Turned around with minimal issues. I can't over emphasize the usefulness of the selectable rear locker in that situation:

057.jpg

Airing up and enjoying lunch:

070.jpg

-----Matt-----

I like my slow winch, it always works.:D

Nice pics, too bad I can't go on the hyp run. Hopefully someone will be there to test out my beadlocks though.:roflmao:

-Alex

nice.

maybe you can be just as stuck as me this time....

Whoops. Got a little FUBAR here, had to winch myself out. This was complicated by the fact that my Warn XD9000i stopped working. It would only spool OUT...not much good for me. I was able to MacGyver up a solution, though, by looping a little synthetic cable under itself and reversing the direction on the drum. Now my OUT only winch was pullng cable in. It was a tense moment, however:

Yet another benefit of going synthetic. Cant afford it? Its simple! Buy a half functioning winch and save your money for rope! :D

:cheers:So for the hypo run, are those roads the way to the camping spot? Prolly gonna have to use some chainsaw/axe huh? At 25psi those tires looked like they didn't do too bad...good thing. How'd the MT/R's do on-road?

:cheers:So for the hypo run, are those roads the way to the camping spot? Prolly gonna have to use some chainsaw/axe huh? At 25psi those tires looked like they didn't do too bad...good thing. How'd the MT/R's do on-road?

Yes, the first section of story (roads) are on the way to the camping area. Only MUCH further UP the hill.

I will bring the chainsaw again, looks like we might need it again.

Looks like the snow MIGHT be compacting nicely now? This could be promising!!

Michael

A partially operative winch on a snow run alone...:nono:

Good stuff Matt.

I just got back from boarding up at Stevens(me and my dad skipped the day of work and school :D) and there was a good 4-5 feet of fresh snow since Saturday into today. Im also quite stoked for the main event.

-Lyle

I say ditch the tires and slap some Mattracks on your Jeep!

Back