• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I recently got a Surco rack. I am wanting to put 4 lights across the front of the rack. I already have hella 500's on my front bumper. They are the driving beam. I was wondering if i should put 2 pencil beams in the middle and run the free forms on the outside. Any Suggestions?

Thats how I have mine set-up. Two Hella 4000 pencil beams in the middle, and 4000 euro beams on the outside. If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped the pencils and done all four euro beams. Much better (usable)light output, unless you plan on flying through the desert or VERY long straight roads.

~James

thanks for the help man! I will check into the hella 4000's!

the 4000's are out of the question for now i am thinking of getting 2 more 500's for now or maybe the 700FF for the rack until i can afford better lights and make brackets for 2 more lights.
'

What kind of setup are some of you guys with roof racks running?

Last edited:
I have the 4000's up on the rack, and I also have 700FF's on the bumkper, and they all have been upgraded to HID's.

The 700FFs are a little larger than the 500's, and the housing is a little different. They can all be easily converted to HID, but the 500's have a little smaller housing.

If you want good light output, and low amp draw for the money, convert them (whatever you get)to HID.

Here is a pic of my set-up.

DSCN0533.jpg

~James

My rig is kinda starting to resemble yours slightly! Its kind of an inspiration, I am going for the expedition rig look myself! :D

S7300574.jpg

I think i will go with the 700FF's. How much am i looking at for an HID kit for them?

I paid right at 60 bucks for each kit. Including the shipping to my house. One kit will do two lights.

~James

PS, if you want "inspiration", come over to the Expedition Portal if you havent already!

I paid right at 60 bucks for each kit. Including the shipping to my house. One kit will do two lights.

~James

PS, if you want "inspiration", come over to the Expedition Portal if you havent already!

What kits did you use? I was searching on Expedition Portal for a while, but didn't find many cheap kits talked about.

The kits arent on Expedition Portal, thats just a good site for expedition type rigs (among lots of other things.)

Search for the kits on Ebay. They are simply universal HID kits. You have to do a little work to make them work in a halogen style housing, but its easy.

I dont remember who I got mine from, here is a picture of them though... :)

SS100213.jpg

Here, this is about 110,000 of them to choose from LOL... I know mine came from Japan, not China. Use your best judgement getting anything like this made in China. Whatever type of bulb your housing uses (H1, H3, etc), get the same type bulb but in HID. The brightest/whitest lights are in the 4000K - 5000K range. The higher you go, they are more blue, then they turn purple for the really high numbers. My lights are 5000K.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=HID+kit&_sacat=See-All-Categories

(hope its ok to post an EBAY link...)

PM tony (tcm glx) here on NAXJA, he runs a HID buisness called BajaHID all he sells are conversion kits. he can help you figure out what would be best for your application.

im going to agree with stump, convert them to HID if at all possible. 4 or more halogen lights is going to put a HUGE strain on your electrical system. convert them to HID and they take almost no power and they are 10x brighter. and, its cheap to convert a halogen housing to HID vs buying a HID light all setup. i picked up 2 procomp 6" off road lights and converted em to HID for less than 150$, instead of buying a 6" HID ready to go for 300$. yes my converted lights probably arent the same quality as the ready made ones, but i havent had a problem with them in 3 years, and i beat the hell out of my XJ in the desert on a routine basis, ive had them completely under water many times, ive run em into trees, rocks, and mud.

i would reccomend doing the swap. once you see how much brighter they are you'll never buy another halogen bulb.

The kits arent on Expedition Portal, thats just a good site for expedition type rigs (among lots of other things.)
Ya, I know the kits aren't on Expedition Portal, but I searched around on there for people who did HID conversions, and didn't find much mention of kits that weren't belove $300 ish.

PM tony (tcm glx) here on NAXJA, he runs a HID buisness called BajaHID all he sells are conversion kits. he can help you figure out what would be best for your application.

I saw those kits before, and was planning on using them. But I noticed that they don't have an H9 bulb listed in their kits, which was what I was planning on running.

~James

Thanks man, I signed up at EP too. I have been meaning to check it out but just got around to it! :cheers:

I saw those kits before, and was planning on using them. But I noticed that they don't have an H9 bulb listed in their kits, which was what I was planning on running.
PM him, if anyone makes a kit for that bulb type, he can get it. dont go by what the website says, talk to him. he owns the company ;) and his kits are quality, ive actually got one in the wifes car, 3 of my buddies cars, 5 pairs of offroad lights, and one semi truck, lol. only had 2 bulbs go out, and had new ones right away. i dunno about you but i'd rather buy from someone i can get ahold of, in my own club, than some random person in hong kong off ebay :dunno:

lol i sound like a salesman... im in no way affiliated with bajahid.com, just a repeat customer :D

Last edited:
x2 on tcm glx, tony is a great guy, and will take care of you.

what kinda housings run a H9 bulb? this is the first ive heard of them in the xj world...

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words...

Begster, feel free to PM me, I have H9 kits as well, need to do a little website updating.

PM him, if anyone makes a kit for that bulb type, he can get it. dont go by what the website says, talk to him. he owns the company ;) and his kits are quality, ive actually got one in the wifes car, 3 of my buddies cars, 5 pairs of offroad lights, and one semi truck, lol. only had 2 bulbs go out, and had new ones right away. i dunno about you but i'd rather buy from someone i can get ahold of, in my own club, than some random person in hong kong off ebay :dunno:

lol i sound like a salesman... im in no way affiliated with bajahid.com, just a repeat customer :D

Thanks Grimm. I agree, talking with people is the best way to get things done. I've been meaning to send out a message to him, been kind of busy lately. Good to hear someone has had good experience as well. Thanks for the advice.

x2 on tcm glx, tony is a great guy, and will take care of you.

what kinda housings run a H9 bulb? this is the first ive heard of them in the xj world...
I have some Hella projector lenses that I got of Susquehanna motorsports that I've been thinking of ideas to fit it into the front. I got one a while ago to test how they work, wicked bright and clean crisp cut off.

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words...

Begster, feel free to PM me, I have H9 kits as well, need to do a little website updating.

Sorry, didn't even see you replied here. You have a PM heading your way.

Sorry for the hijacking the thread.

Back