• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uplifting

Russ_101

NAXJA Forum User
I already have a 3 inch lift on my 98 XJ. I added new springs in front, had the transfer case lowered and added custom control arms. I added two leaf springs and a block as well. My welding buddy wants to build me some shackles for the rear springs and do a body lift of another two to three inches. I know that I might have to lower the transfer case again, and make new struts that are longer. I am not sure how to go about making the brake cables longer and I don't know how to extend the steering. I am also wondering if I should add a steering assist. I would like to eventually move from 31 inch tires to 33 ( I am going to cut out the the wheel wells) , and I am running an 8.25. I am looking for suggestions on if I should try to come across an 8.8 or if I should just try to find some aftermarket axle shafts. I have a lot going on and I probably left out some steps. Any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks

Yea do the body lift, that is hands down the best way to lift a cherokee.:D

-Alex

It's a real problem filling the bumper and fender gaps though! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yea do the body lift, that is hands down the best way to lift a cherokee.:D

-Alex
I didnt even catch that the first time i read through that haha

I know that I can't do a body lift on a unibody, I meant dropping the springs by adding shackles and larger bump stops / strut in the front. I was just looking for suggestions on what I would have to do to extend the steering column and what to do with the pitman arms. I have a custom made rear bumper and we cut off the rear body up to the tail lights. The wheel wells are going to be fitted to some cutaway fender flares. I think that I will be able to just relocate my brake lines to fit. I would stay at three inches, but I would like to run 33s with chains. Any aftermarket Axle shafts?

The 98' already has a steering assist. I would look at what the major companies use in their lifts and go from their. Same for the new steering set up. I would get rid of the block and install a SYE instead of dropping the T-case again. That is one part you want tucked up nice and tight with a skid. Lift blocks are not the best way to lift anything.

Well, maybe. I might search for an 8.8 before I spend a bunch of money on lifting it further.

Friend, do yourself a favor and "spend" a bunch of time reading up on how and why to modify you Jeep...

Sorry, I just get excited this time of year because I only have a car port and can't really work on my jeep in the winter. I am also almost finishing a bumper that I have been builting for seven months, just confused about where to go from where I am now.

Back