• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque spec for valve cover bolts

scottyrock

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of replacing the valve cover gasket. This will be my first time to do this to any vehicle but seems simple enough. I have searched threads but see a variety of torque specs so I am not sure what it really is. Any other info that could help me in the process would be great. Thanks.

Sounds about right for the aluminum cover as well - it's more a function of gasket integrity than anything else.

Click the link in my sig, go to the Tech Archive, and go from there. If I don't have your year listed, it's because I haven't gotten that FSM yet, pick a year close to yours and use that.

According to Chilton's (and we all know how accurate they are), the torque value is 55 INCH/lbs. or 6 Newton meters.

According to Chilton's (and we all know how accurate they are), the torque value is 55 INCH/lbs. or 6 Newton meters.

For what year/ valve cover?

As far as other tips, I like to use gasket adhesive to fix the gasket to the removable part (in this case the valve cover). That way it stays in place, but you don't have to scrape the head the next time you replace that gasket.

thanks 5-90. Looks like 70 lb inches

Sounds about right. If you don't have a torque wrench that reads in pound-inches, grab your smallest torque wrench and set it to 6 pound-feet (as you've probably guessed, there are 12 pound-inches in one pound-foot, so 6 pound-feet = 72 pound-inches. It's close enough for government work, and half the time it's what I end up doing anyhow.)

Great... thanks guys. I will tear into it tomorrow. Hey 5-90.... if I do the gov't work we have seen lately... the Jeep may blow up!!! thanks for the replys.... much appriciated

Back