• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well today sucked.

For some odd reason i was under my xj and noticed on my third-member there was oil slatterd all over the axel and the under body of the car it was leaking out of the pinion side. Is it maybe just a seal of somsort or what? is it easy to fix if that all it is?

since you say third memeber is this a Ford 9" or a toyota axle you have?

Pictures with a finger pointing to the problem is always easyier for us to help

Third members usually refer to the center seciton on an axle that is removable from the axle housing in which the center section holds the pinion, carrier etc together with all races etc together in working order. Ideally a better design in my eyes because you can service the axle without it actually being in the axle. I would assume you have stock axles but seeing the Jeepspeed username I also assume you may run in the jeepspeed circuit or have bought a jeepspeed jeep in which case it may have a Ford 9" since all the jeep speed capable rigs I have seen have had that swapped in.

THis is a third memeber from a toyota

23.jpg

This here's a Ford Third memeber just removed. If you can do this, ie separate the housing then you have a thrid memeber
9in2.jpg

Back