• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a 96 xj that is my DD and it has 3inchs and 31s. The problem is at 50 mph at 1500 rpms I have this vib that is so strong that you cant read the gauges but it doesnt do it all the time. I have tried putting the sway bar on and off it didnt seem to help or make it worrse. I also took out the front drive shaft (last time it did this the cv went bad and then is stopped) which help none as well.:flamemad: I cant figure it out any and all help would be great!!

Sounds like a u-joint is bad. When my first one went bad in highschool and I didn't know what it was, knocked the rear-view mirror off with the vibes!

check the ujoints in the rear axle... aslo check the slip joint in the rear... that is if you have an sye... if you dont have an sye you might want to look into getting one. you could also check front axle ujoints and hub assemblies. try to find anything that has wiggling in it.

hope this helped

g

get your tires balanced first, then search "death wobble".
I would think the OP knows the difference between a vibe and a wobble.

check the ujoints in the rear axle... aslo check the slip joint in the rear... that is if you have an sye... if you dont have an sye you might want to look into getting one. you could also check front axle ujoints and hub assemblies. try to find anything that has wiggling in it.

hope this helped

g

hope you mean ujoints in the rear driveshaft, not axle.

lol thanks guys for all the help I took a look after work and it looks like its the front u joints and a bad lower pass side ball joint yes I have an sye and yes I know the diff between a tire wobble and a vib lol ok now I have another question for yall sometimes when I start it up no prob and sometimes I have to pump the gas puddle a few times and helper her out but after that no prob once she gets going. Any ideas??

i just had the same problem. my tires were out of balance and my bushing for the drag link and tie rods were shot. replaced them and had the tires done and it rides like a caddy

This sounds more like the typical death wobble that jeeps get rather than a vibe. Either way the common culprits are ball joints, TRE's, trackbar, U-joints, alignment & balance of tires. You said that the lower passenger side ball joint had play in it, when the shop did the front did they do all 4 ball joints or just that one? If just that one then it's still highly likely that at least one of the other three is still bad. Since they did it for free for ya take it back and have them check the alignment and balance of all 4 tires. When a shop does an alignment they check all ball joints and TRE's on the front for any wear.

they balanced the tires what it turns out to be is both u joints in the front are bad and the ball joint on the lower passenger side is starting to go bad but the U joints are HORRIBLE lol so they got to go

Back