• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questionable front brackets

XJeremy23

NAXJA Forum User
I went to a nearby pull it yourself type junkyard to find that they had a nice selection of Cherokees with a good selection of usable parts on them. While hardly containing my excitement I found a Cherokee with a factory front skid plate and some aftermarket brackets on the front. The brackets looked pretty beefy and they were still new. The hardware didn't even have any rust on it! I bought the brackets that I thought could be tow hook brackets for $4 each and took them home. After having time to calm down and think more clearly I question whether these brackets would work well as tow hook brackets. I do not know how to post pics, or if I can (black name) so I will try to describe. The brackets mount to the "frame" using the same three holes as the front bumper brackets but there is a piece of steel with two bolts welded to it that sandwiches the "frame" and the bumper bracket between the other side of the aftermarket bracket. Following me?? The front of the bracket is "L" shaped with the long part of the L going up in front of the end of the "frame" behind the front bumper and a bolt with a spacer attaches to the front of the "frame" and front crossmember thing. The short part of the "L" sticks out in front of the vehicle under the bumper and has two holes drilled into it to mount something (tow hooks??). It seems to me a setup like this might be okay for light to medium duty pulls that are fairly straight. I would question using them for hard sideways or angled pulls. My concerns are as follows:
1) The brackets mount to the end of the frame at same locations as factory bumper brackets and does not;
1a) Extend down the side of the framerail using the reinforced hole as a mounting point
nor does it;
1b) Cradle the "frame" with an "L" shape that mounts to the side and bottom of the "frame"
2) The holes drilled in the end for mouning something do not look like they would work well for tow hooks. They are not one in front of the other, rather they are side by side. Make sense?
If anyone has suggestions or help with posting pics to make for a better disscussion, please speak up. FYI, the XJ I plan putting these brackets on is mildly to moderately modified and sees moderate wheeling. It also has a Rusty's steering box brace and a factory front skid plate to help reinforce the front.

Host the pics at photobucket, then link them here...

Or email em to me, and I will.

WrenchMonkey at 1BADXJ dot com

Robert

(For what its worth, they don't really sound like very good recovery points. But hell, for $4, you'll use em for something!)

If I'm understanding your description right, it sounds like these might be towbar brackets for one of the specialty tow bars like Roadmaster or Blue Ox. These allow the Jeep to be towed behind an RV using a custom tow bar. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they will handle a pull, but you really need to mount a piece of angle iron or something across the front to tie one bracket to the other. They will bend sideways otherwise. They also stick down far enough that you lose some clearance on your approach angle.

I tow my XJ behind an RV, but had Rigidco make up a custom front bumper for the tow bar to mount to. That eliminated both problems with the brackets.

Sorry guys, I must have fallen asleep on you. Just bringing this back real quick to put closure on it. Thanks WrenchMonkey for your willingness to help with the photos but I don't think it is neccessary to post pics because mnoeltne hit it right on the head. After reading what mnoeltne posted and taking another look at the brackets I think he is exactly right, they ARE towbar brackets. Obviously not ideal for tow HOOK brackets but I am sure I can find something to do with them.

i used some roadmaster flat tow brackets that I found at the junkyard. Mine are very beefy though and bolt to the frame with 14 bolts. I just actually built a winch bumper using those as a base. Check out my bosts and you'll see pictures of it. I've pulled hard with them, no issue.

Back