• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

build direction help

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
Building a jeepspeed jeep over here on the east coast. starting to plan most of the susp parts and i need somehelp from the guys that are around it and know what works.

My question is what the most used front susp? i like the tnt longarms and have installed and used them on my shop jeeps in the past. Are they used in the jeepspeed community? Also can i use UBE form them also? or are they useless for this aplication. thanks for the unput and your time!:cheers:

If you're going to drop the coin to go long arm, don't go with a Y link long arm, which is what the TNT is. Some guys run it, nobody in the professional series though. The problem with a Y-link setup is that as your suspension droops and stuffs, your caster changes. Thus creating nasty turn characteristics when doing the go fast stuff. You want to keep a true 4link setup. Look into the full traction setup, they're the most favored long arm in the jeepspeed community.

But also keep in mind, drop brackets and short arms have won the jeepspeed challenge the last 3 years in a row I believe? NRT Chris can you confirm? I believe it was currie stuff too.

All in all drop brackets with some good upper and lower control arms will perform just as well as a long arm kit, and better in my opinion than a y link kit.

If you're going to drop the coin to go long arm, don't go with a Y link long arm, which is what the TNT is. Some guys run it, nobody in the professional series though. The problem with a Y-link setup is that as your suspension droops and stuffs, your caster changes. Thus creating nasty turn characteristics when doing the go fast stuff. You want to keep a true 4link setup. Look into the full traction setup, they're the most favored long arm in the jeepspeed community.

But also keep in mind, drop brackets and short arms have won the jeepspeed challenge the last 3 years in a row I believe? NRT Chris can you confirm? I believe it was currie stuff too.

All in all drop brackets with some good upper and lower control arms will perform just as well as a long arm kit, and better in my opinion than a y link kit.

I dunno, Jim...

On our jeepspeed wrangler, we're running the RE long arms set up, and are usually in the top three, with a few wins. I'd say it works just dandy.

-Dan

I dunno, Jim...

On our jeepspeed wrangler, we're running the RE long arms set up, and are usually in the top three, with a few wins. I'd say it works just dandy.

-Dan

i have the RE long arm kit as well.. what kind of coils and leafs are you running?

hijack sorry :/

I dunno, Jim...

-Dan
Isn't the long arm setup on the wrangler a true 4 link though?

Even still, I'm REALLY not knocking the RE stuff at all, they make good stuff, obviously, and a lot of guys run them (such as yourself) flawlessly. But if you're gonna do it you might as well go true 4 link amiright?

Isn't the long arm setup on the wrangler a true 4 link though?

Even still, I'm REALLY not knocking the RE stuff at all, they make good stuff, obviously, and a lot of guys run them (such as yourself) flawlessly. But if you're gonna do it you might as well go true 4 link amiright?

Jim, I'm not saying the RE design is better than anything else, either...I've used the RE stuff for a very long time, and it's always been trouble free, and it WORKS.

The front of the race jeep is the good ole RE radius arms, and the rear is the triangulated 3 link, with parallel lower trailing arms.

I don't really think the caster change is all that big of a deal. When you're in the air, caster doesn't matter, and when you land, the suspension is completely compressed, giving you way more caster than a 4 link to help you land and continue in a straight line. That's my take on it.

My XJ is set up the same way, only I have some really long National leaf springs in the back, and it works really good as well.

On the race jeep, we're using RE 3.5" springs in the front, to keep the COG of our 4500 lb tank lower.

-Dan

im running the TNT y-links on my jeep...

hi. you'll notice this thread is in the jeepspeed forum...
the point of the thread wasnt to ask if the tnt y-link was any good.... it was asking what would be the IDEAL front suspension for jeepspeed, which, isnt the tnt.....

also, those UBE's are gonna aid in axle wrap... so hopefully you have stiff springs....

in an mj, they dont seem to be much trouble though.

thanks for all the input.

i really didnt look at the drop brackets but also didnt know that short arms were working out for some. I might be better off to go with drop brackets for now.

whats most of the jeepspeeder's running for rear gear on the 2wd's? Just picked up my 2wd front beam. Begain plating it and etc today and will be getting my 8.8 next week. was shooting for 4.56/4.88 spooled? all help info is great...no help over on the east coast!:looser:

Zoomy97acr runs a spooled 4.56 on 33"s in his MJ. Seems to have plenty of power. You could probably go 4.88s if you don't mind winding it up pretty tight on the straight/flat parts.('last year VtoR, our top speed on the lake beds was a tick over 90mph)

hi. you'll notice this thread is in the jeepspeed forum...
the point of the thread wasnt to ask if the tnt y-link was any good.... it was asking what would be the IDEAL front suspension for jeepspeed, which, isnt the tnt.....

also, those UBE's are gonna aid in axle wrap... so hopefully you have stiff springs....

in an mj, they dont seem to be much trouble though.
Nor was it for you to come in and act stupid.

I've usually heard of a full 4 link. I don't have much experience but have been looking around at stuff in here and trying to learn. :)

Back