• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump problems

trail rate this

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering works great when everything is cool, but after driving 30min or so my pump starts to whine at 3k RPM, it gets louder as the RPM's get higher. It's hard to turn my wheels while stopped and idleing, the pump also whines. I do have a cooler on it. This all started after I put the cooler in. If all the air didn't get bled out, could it have caused the pump ot go bad. I don't see any bubbles or foam in the resevior. Is the pump bad or what can I do to fix this.

Now for the specs: 98 XJ, stock pump and box, 33x12.50 BFG AT's, WJ knuckles and steering.

Thanks for all your help.

Was there some noise before you added the cooler, or is this all new?

Not saying for sure that it is this, but what mite be happening is when the cooler gets full it looses the right amount of fluid in the pump causing poor lubrication.

And could only do this when its warm because of the oil not lubing as good warm vs cold.:dunno:

Not saying for sure that it is this, but what mite be happening is when the cooler gets full it looses the right amount of fluid in the pump causing poor lubrication.

And could only do this when its warm because of the oil not lubing as good warm vs cold.:dunno:

Shouldn't the cooler be full all the time? The cooler is inline on the return side. I'm useing the trannt cooler in the ratiator.

You would know by a large puddle under the vehicle if not, but you did put the cooler on the low presure side of the system? Air sounds right but you should see foam in the resovior if it is still not bled. Is the top of the cooler higher than the pump/resovior, you could just have air at the top that is leaving space for the fluid to expand as it gets hotter, this could starve the pump for fluid/presure.

I wonder if it is too restricted.

I seem to remember PS coolers as having very large tubing.

Restiction could definataly be the problem. The power steer puts out more PSI then a transmission will. Could be.

Back