• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase. ???

TopWop

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so what tcases will work with the ax-15 trans. i want lower gears but i dont want to loose my pinion strength. i also found the lower gear kits for the np231 but 1200$ ouch. is there a way to dubble up the np231 or maybe np203/205. thanks for the info.

the set up i have now is 35" tires d30 d35 4.10s np231 w/ax-15. i want lower gears but i dont want to loose my pinion strength. i was talking to a friend and he told me that i could do a np241(i may have the tcase number wrong) and get a 6.1 low.

the set up i have now is 35" tires d30 d35 4.10s np231 w/ax-15. i want lower gears but i dont want to loose my pinion strength. i was talking to a friend and he told me that i could do a np241(i may have the tcase number wrong) and get a 6.1 low.

You're friend is dead wrong. A 241 has a 4:1, NOT a 6:1.

4.10 and a stick with 35's has got to bring the suck.

Locked D35? I broke mine on 235's. Id be more worried about other stuff than pinion strength on that axle. Its definitely a turd in my book.

There is Nothing you can do to make a D35 reliable for 35s other than replace it with a bigger axle. spend the thousand the 241 would cost to swap in a new rear and gear both front and rear 4.88s minimum.

Besides, won't having 4:1 gears in the transfer case put even more torque on the poor D35?

You're friend is dead wrong. A 241 has a 4:1, NOT a 6:1.

4.10 and a stick with 35's has got to bring the suck.

Locked D35? I broke mine on 235's. Id be more worried about other stuff than pinion strength on that axle. Its definitely a turd in my book.

no i was reading that you can get a 6:1 kit for the 241. and i already have an 8.8 to swap in with 4:10 and spool. (saving for a welder)

There is Nothing you can do to make a D35 reliable for 35s other than replace it with a bigger axle. spend the thousand the 241 would cost to swap in a new rear and gear both front and rear 4.88s minimum.

It will cost me more to buy gears and lockers have them installed. Plus i already have an 8.8 but its not in yet.

I found a couple of 241 with sye and 6.1 kit for 850$ but you have to bring him a tcase also. so im thinking of doing that. not sure yet. thanks for the input.

What?

Do you mean Atlas? As in Advance Adapters' complete replacement transfer case that costs $2000-3000?

I'd be interested to see where you're finding the 6:1 'kit'.

-----Matt-----

x2 if I can get a 6.1 setup for 850 I'm in, how bout a group buy? ;)

no i was reading that you can get a 6:1 kit for the 241. and i already have an 8.8 to swap in with 4:10 and spool. (saving for a welder)

It will cost me more to buy gears and lockers have them installed. Plus i already have an 8.8 but its not in yet.

I found a couple of 241 with sye and 6.1 kit for 850$ but you have to bring him a tcase also. so im thinking of doing that. not sure yet. thanks for the input.

Where are you getting this bogus info? There is NO 6:1 NV241, stock, aftermarket, or otherwise.

But if truly indeed you can get a 6:1 TC for $850, please share your info, we'd like to give this 'guy' some business.

Let's step back a few steps.

1. You don't need to be worried about your pinion strength with 35" tires on the D35 (you need to be worried about the whole case, shafts, housing).
2. You don't need to be worried about your pinion strength with the 8.8 with what ever gears you go with in the end.
3. The pinion on tall gears 4.88's on a D30 is some concern but only after your case, housing, etc. In which case you have a very well built D30.

4. Assuming you have radial 35's I don't think you really need to worry at all about pinion strengh, instead you need to install appropriate gears for the tires in the appropriate strength axles. (D30 and 8.8 is fine).
5. IF after the gears you still want more gearing then you can do a 4:1 in a 231, or a flipped D300 or choose deeper gears with an Atlas or alternative.
The other choice is to do a doubler (search Advanced or Pirate).

HTH,
Michael

Back