• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your opinions on a minor lift...

Beerkiller

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I've owned my '00 XJ for a month or two now, and I absolutely love it. However, I'm dying to do some light mods and I haven't done much to it except new tires.

Unfortunately they're on 16 inch rims; I really wanted to lift it without having to buy new rims, but it needed the tires BADLY and I didn't feel like forking over the cash for the rims or bigger tires... so I went ahead and put on some Pro Comp All Terrains that are the same tire size as the stock tires. They were one of the only all terrains that would fit the rim, they didn't cost a lot of dough and they serve me very well on the trails and on the road.

I'm still thinking about doing a very minor lift for two reasons: because I want to see it up and off the ground a little more (without looking ridiculous while keeping the stock tire size, if it's actually possible :laugh3:), and because I want to be rid of the sagging leaf springs in the back (best excuse haha I know... can't help it :)).

I'd love to do a huge lift on it, but I don't have the time to get involved with anything besides the suspension... I lifted an F-150 I used to have by 8 inches and stuck 38s under that thing and it was a ton of work. A joy, but a ton of work... Besides that, I really don't need a large lift right now.

Anyone have suggestions?

I would look at the Rubicon Express 2" budget boost (RE6160). It brings it up from stock, obviously, and its not too hard on the wallet. Also it wouldn't make the new stock tires you just got look too small, and it wouldn't require other mods that might necessary with a taller lift.

For reference:
before
IMG_1276.jpg

after
ph204884370.jpg

I would look at the Rubicon Express 2" budget boost (RE6160). It brings it up from stock, obviously, and its not too hard on the wallet. Also it wouldn't make the new stock tires you just got look too small, and it wouldn't require other mods that might necessary with a taller lift.

For reference:
before
IMG_1276.jpg

after
ph204884370.jpg

are those stock height bfg mt's or 31's? i like the lift but FWIW i think i'd spend the extra dough and get a 3-4.5" lift... im just thinking of the long run not just for 6 months down the road...

dont waste your time w/ anything less then a soft 3", a 3.5" is a GREAT starter kit....
trade the tires, or just sell em afterwards....

btw, those would be bfg A/T's....

They are 30" BFG At's. I would definately say now that 3-3.5 is a good place to start (i actually have the RE 3.5" Superride sitting in the house waiting to be put on), even though I ran the BB for 4 years without a problem. I just suggested 2" after reading the initial post, but if there are plans on going bigger in the future, definately start with 3-3.5".

dont waste your time w/ anything less then a soft 3", a 3.5" is a GREAT starter kit....
trade the tires, or just sell em afterwards....

btw, those would be bfg A/T's....

lol i didnt even see that it said ALL-terrains! i saw it looked a little knobby, was a bfg and was thinkin mud terrains

They are 30" BFG At's. I would definately say now that 3-3.5 is a good place to start (i actually have the RE 3.5" Superride sitting in the house waiting to be put on), even though I ran the BB for 4 years without a problem. I just suggested 2" after reading the initial post, but if there are plans on going bigger in the future, definately start with 3-3.5".

im going from stock height to maybe 4.5" long travel suspension, for both a daily driver and a trail machine. and sticking with smaller tires like a 235 with more back spacing or 31's at most, we will see after it gets lifted on new wheels later this year.

Here's how Cherokees get built.
Thought: I want a big jeep.
1) add 2" (pucks/blocks/add a leaf/shackle/Grand Chero. springs)
2) jump to 3.5"-4.5", get 33" tires
3) jump to 6", get 35" tires
4) hate ride go to long arms
At every step, you undo the prior modification. That's why there's so many used lift parts on E-bay :D

The advice you don't want to hear: Leave it stock for now.

If you don't NEED the short lift for some reason, don't bother wasting the money. Your own words: You'd love to do a huge lift on it. You're aiming for "high", so any money you throw in "short" is wasted. Save up the bucks and build it right the first time. It'll seem more expensive, but you spend half as much doing it once as opposed to doing it over.

Anything up to 30x9.50 won't rub as long as the sway bars are still on(even with the sagging springs, ask me how I know) .
If you flat out "have to, just have to" get a little higher, buy used parts and do it as simple as possible. Here's an idea: budget boost

EDIT: You're going to ignore my advice on the lift anyway, so don't ignore this advice. You live in NJ, which means east coast Jeep/rusty frozen bolts. Get a can of penetrating oil and spray down all the bolts on the front and back suspension, drive shafts, and anything else you think you might want to remove. Do this a couple times a week starting now, and keep it up until you're ready to wrench. Use something like WD-40, not PB Blaster( I like PB-blaster, and use a lot of it, but unless you're working within a day or so, it evaporates off. You want it to soak in.)

Last edited:
Back