• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB ReLocation..

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
So this is what I was thinking of doing to kill time until I get a bit of money saved for my lift.

Move the CB from its current location into the vent area. Make a small bracket so it doesn't break through or fall through. Has anyone done this and how massive will the AC and heater be affected if I block that vent?

DSC00830.jpg

If anyone has done this how has it worked?

When you pull that vent out, you will see that there is a vacuum actuated flap/door behind it that controls how the entire vent system works. Unless you dont care about your ac or heater working that well, you can do it. But, if you actaully want to keep that function, there wont be enough room for the CB.

~James

There is not a whole lot of room anywhere behind the dash/glovebox honestly. I was trying to come up with a way to do the same thing for my CB, but ended up building a overhead console, and stuck the CB in there.

Like I said, it could be done, but not without removing the function of that flapper door. Best advice would be to spend an hour or two looking at whats behind your dash plastic. Then you will know what you are working with.

~James

Yeah if my jeep wasn't a DD I so would do that. But I was also thinking of an over head console for that or my cd player. Do you have pictures I can see? and how did you mount it to the roof? I have some ply wood and I can get a hold of that liquid hardening plastic. and then paint it what ever color. I think that would be pretty cool.

Well, its getting dark here in Europe, so excuse the crappy pictures. I think you can see what I am talkiing about. I added a pod on top of the dash for my CD player, and installed a monitor (I have a camera on the front and rear) where it used to go. I also moved my ac controls up higher. I was able to squeeze in a Scan Guage below the monitor as well. I fabbed a shee of aluminum for the dash panel and my switches, because I hated the way the old style looked.

The Overhead console is just mounted in the factory light place in the rear, and also where that dome thing is by the sun visors. I have an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start, so I didnt need the old keyless entry infared thing. the whole thing mounts with 6 screws. Its made out of 1/4' birch light ply, and carbon fiber panel that I had laying around. I used 4 pretty cool little 12v halogen bulbs with a 45 degree light pattern. It lights everything up VERY well. Two point to the front, and two pointing to the cargo area.

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

Older pic:

DSCN0413.jpg

~James

I am using a 7 inch monitor. The vent is tricky. Its hard to explain if you have never seen the backside of the dash, but that vent is just a slot in the much larger molded plastic duct work. I had to cut a HUGE hole in the duct work, and move it back about an inch. I did this with thin steel (flashing), and sealed it up with silicone and screws. It will make more sense when you see it for yourself when you remove the plastic.

The monitor is only about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch thick, and the same with the scan gauge, so they arent that deep.

I am 6'1", and can see the right corner of the fender/hood. It looks worse than it is in the picture. If I just put the radio in the box, and not include the inside/outside temp gauges, I could have made it a little lower. The pod does not block my view at all honestly. My wife is 5 foot nothing, and has never mentioned anything about it when she drives it, but it may be a distraction for a shorter driver.

I had a similar one in my Tacoma. It started out as this:

IMG_0198.jpg

Then it went to this when I got the scan gauge:

SS100182.jpg

~James

I remember seeing your post, that is a nice clean way to install it for sure. How do you like the radio? I got the same one, but havent hooked up my antenna yet (they are illegal here in Germay). I am waiting till I get back to the states next month to hook it up.

Which antenna did you go with? I am thinking a wilson center load on my front bumper, but not sure yet.

~James "I just realized I am hi-jacking the thread" Clegg. (sorry...)

*sidebar b/w me and stump*

ha. The radio is great, I have had no problems with it. As far as antennas, I just got a magnetic mounted one from advanced auto, and mounted it in the center of my hood. This keeps tree limbs away from it. I can also still raise the hood and have no probs. The wires run cleanly up under the pass. A-pillar trim and above the pass. visor. When the pass. visor is down you can see the wires, but thats no big deal. They are out of the way. The antenna works fine though.

cleanjeep.jpg

what about a setup using the forward most cubbie on the center consol. i toyed with the idea of putting a small cb or swithc pannel there- between the shifter and the ash tray

what about a setup using the forward most cubbie on the center consol. i toyed with the idea of putting a small cb or swithc pannel there- between the shifter and the ash tray

Thats what i did, my CB was to big so i mounted on the side..Put my switches in the hole in front like you are thinking of doing
switchescb.jpg

Sorry about the dirty car, but we havent had rain in a while..
The wifes jeep..Put them next to the radio
switchesdone-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your dash and overhead console. If you wouldn't mind. looks like you have the same jeep pretty much. Would you happen to have plans for the overhead console?

I assume you are talking about me? If so, there are no plans. Its all in my head. Just start cutting out cardboard templates and make it. Its not rocket surgery, if you have a little experience with woodwork, its simple. If you need more pictures, I can provide that, or a measurement or two.

~James

Back