• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better braking for 4w disks.

leftlanetruckin

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys n gals.
i have a 98 xj 4.0/aw4 on 37's with jk rubi axles.
the braking in low range is lacking IMO.
i am getting ready to install a 4:1 klune in front of the 231, so it isnt gonna get any better!
any "quick" fixes to make the braking better? i already have the dual booster etc. didnt know if anyone was running say a zj m/c and prop valve. maybe just the prop valve?
i dont want to go hydro, as i will be getting the hydro assist steering, and dont want to stress out the pump any more.
i did search, but came up with stuff for 1ton brakes etc.
thanks

martin

Definitely change to the ZJ prop valve. It can't hurt anything and will probably help + its cheap from the junkyard.
Check out this link on brake pads...http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244133637#post244133637
Other than that... Look in to the WJ knuckle swap. I don't know much / anything about the JK Rubi axles, so you may want to disregard this. The WJ used a pretty beefy twin piston front caliper though and this would help.

Have you checked the idle speed? A high idle can cause low range braking problems.

Definitely change to the ZJ prop valve. It can't hurt anything and will probably help + its cheap from the junkyard.
Check out this link on brake pads...http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244133637#post244133637
Other than that... Look in to the WJ knuckle swap. I don't know much / anything about the JK Rubi axles, so you may want to disregard this. The WJ used a pretty beefy twin piston front caliper though and this would help.

I'm pretty sure the WJ setup doesn't swap onto the JK axles.

I'd honestly check the jeep forum, or the JK forums for this info. Not very many guys on here run those axles.

BTW, did you get your JKs new back when they we're cheap? just curious.

thanks guys!
i did try on jf, but besides the yj tech, the rest are not worth a damn IMO.
now if i asked about making my stereo louder, then i would get a ton of replies...:doh:
i read on pirate about the 98 dodge 2500 m/c, so maybe i will grab one of those for $60 and a zj prop valve and try that!
the idle is fine BTW, i had those issues with the yj after i swapped in the 4.3, damn iac valve sticking.......
cheers

martin

Back