• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header question

Ive had the same problem looking for headers for my 88. The only ones ive been able to find are pacesetters they make for the 87-91 years they run on ebay or on summitracing for about 245 i think.

i was running a pacesetter in my 89 ! i got a big jump in power when i put it in .my down pipe was kinda flat in spots and the orginal manifold was cracked ! but after i put it in and had it welded up i was able to light my 35's up for the first time ; ) ! its for sale BTW ; ) borla (spl) also makes one but its $$ .

I just ordered the APN headers. I've been doing some reading on them here in the fourms. Everyone seems happy with them so far. I'm gonna give it a go. For the price probably a good set. I was thinking of the banks headers but they are too much $$.

Mopar header, made by Mike Leech. 87 to 9? are identical, with the only difference the EGR tube for the 87 to 90.

The money I spent on the exhaust would have been better spent on something else.

Fred

I got a pacesetter header brand new in the box but not going to use it for sale 220$ firm
bought it for my 91 jeep cherokee just decided not to put it on I think it fits from 87 to 91

X2 on Clifford. I am very happy with mine but you will have to redo your exhaust for it. I think all 4.0 headers will bolt up to any head just not the rest of the exhaust. The HO has a higher intake port not exhaust.

So ur saying any exhaust manifold will bolt up correctly? To any 4.0 head? with the manifold from the same year as the head.
Were did you get you information on this was it personal experience or is it just common knowledge? Im not trying to give you crap. Just trying to be better informed.

Last edited:
Ask clifford--their header is listed as a 87-05. I do know that Borla had a different header for 87-90, but maybe the only difference was the egr and not the bolt pattern or port location.

Ask clifford--their header is listed as a 87-05. I do know that Borla had a different header for 87-90, but maybe the only difference was the egr and not the bolt pattern or port location.

From the information i find on-line, neither Clifford or Borla make a header for a 1990 4.0 XJ/MJ.

that looks exactly like a pacesetter headder !!
headder.jpg

BTW i just went and cheaked via exaust/intakemanifold gaskets . the ports are exactly the same .
i put a old renix 89 gasket up aginst a 99 ho head and the ports line up just fine .the exaust manifols dose also so....im pretty sure any headder will work but youll have to delete the egr valve if you go to a 91 + header .
a put a pacestter on mine and i deleted the egr and saw no detrument to milage .
hope this helps !

that looks exactly like a pacesetter headder !!
headder.jpg

BTW i just went and cheaked via exaust/intakemanifold gaskets . the ports are exactly the same .
i put a old renix 89 gasket up aginst a 99 ho head and the ports line up just fine .the exaust manifols dose also so....im pretty sure any headder will work but youll have to delete the egr valve if you go to a 91 + header .
a put a pacestter on mine and i deleted the egr and saw no detrument to milage .
hope this helps !

Thanks. Will I be able to pass the emissions test without the EGR hooked up? Seems that only Pace Setter currently makes a header with the fitting. All of the other brands have been discontinued.

All the newer headers seem to be missing this EGR fitting. Have other people ran a newer header on a pre ‘90 XJ/MJ without noticing a difference…?

i didnt notice anything from losing it ! but my gass milage kinda sucked befor i did it any ways . u could always have a shop put the bung for the egr on to ur new header !

Back