• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help. jeep wont idle well and overheats

ajstarr2288

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i replased my t-stat and my water pump, also my distributor cap and roter. when i started my jeep back up it still was running real rough and overheating. everyone ive talked to says something different. ive been told head gasket, craked head, air in coolant, blocked coolant system. i am getting water or anti-freeze into my exhaust. any ideas, i need HELP!!!

I'm guessing its a 95 based on your profile. If the exhaust doesn't smell like antifreeze it may just be normal condensation. Are you losing coolant. The oil look normal and no oil in the coolant? I think a compression and/or leakdown test might be in order. Was it overheating before? It could be the parts store gave you the wrong water pump for the 4.2l which will bolt up but spins the opposite direction.

Yea, need to know if it overheated BEFORE you installed the new water pump. How do you know you're getting antifreeze in the exhaust? Is the level of the antifreeze going down?

The devil is really in the details with this. If it was overheating before and you are losing coolant, then the most likely suspects here are head gasket or head. But you must confirm that you don't have an "external" leak as well through a comprehensive search for one.

Testing is the best way to confirm in the event that symptoms continue. Don't guess. Cooling system pressure test, compression test, leakdown test, sniffing the coolant for presence of hydrocarbons are common tests that can be helpful here.

Yea, need to know if it overheated BEFORE you installed the new water pump. How do you know you're getting antifreeze in the exhaust? Is the level of the antifreeze going down?

The devil is really in the details with this. If it was overheating before and you are losing coolant, then the most likely suspects here are head gasket or head. But you must confirm that you don't have an "external" leak as well through a comprehensive search for one.

Testing is the best way to confirm in the event that symptoms continue. Don't guess. Cooling system pressure test, compression test, leakdown test, sniffing the coolant for presence of hydrocarbons are common tests that can be helpful here.

it is my head or head gasket. coolant finally got onto the oil dipstick

Back