• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's = 15mpg?

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
I've check the fuel mileage on my new to me 01 XJ over the last 3-4 tanks and I'm averaging 15mpg after figuring for the bigger tires. Is that about right?

15 mpg sounds about right tho it will also depend on your drive style. I filled up today, it took 16 gals after poking the last 1.5 in. my average it was at 17 mpg but there was some hiway in there. If i really keep my foot out of its seen up to 19 in town but the average over time is generally in the 15 to 17 area. i have an 01 on 31"BFGs . also if you havent regeared the speedo you may be getting a little better that you think!

32's/4.10's=18AVG

31's/4.10/5sp/1989 = 18/19mpg summer and 15/16mpg in the winter. mileage goes to crap in the winter/cold months. not sure if its the blend of the gas or colder air equals more gas.

Damn, looks like Im heavy on the gas. Ive got 31s and Im averaging 12 highway. Maybe my roofrack has something to do with it.

I'm on 31's with stock gearing, auto trans, and roof rack with my spare tire up there and still average between 15-16mpg. Just got a little over 17 on a 65mph trip last week.

When was the last time you did a tune up?

Stock gearing 225/75R15's on both my 94 and 96. Automatics and never seen better then 18. All highway. :bawl: I drive like a Grandpa too.

I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I get 20mpg on the freeway, through the mountains. GPS said we went 200 miles from gas station to gas station and the fuel started pouring out at 10 gallons. So I'm pretty sure it isn't a math/speedo problem. I run a 6" LA lift with 32" BFG AT's 1991 4.0, auto. 3.55's might help, but a 4:1 gives me enough crawl ratio to make it not matter much on the trail. Something to think about anyway.
You could always justify the 4:1 money to your wife by saying you will make it up with better gas mileage. lol

Back