• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Engine!

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Dropped my XJ off yesterday to get a new engine.

WELL ISSUES ALREADY CAME UP!!!

$1100 for the engine was the quote for the short block. That is not what they told me. So $1300, that is $200 more then it was supposed to be. Something totally understandable. About $150-200 in hoses and cables need replaced (It was about dead). That is THAT much more. My $1750 engine swap turned into $2150 engine swap. AHHH!! Lift is on hold now until mid may! So total price when I get it back next week is $2250. He is installing my new transfer case and gauges for about $100 bucks. I am so down that it will be like 2 more weeks to get my lift then planned. We are thinking about 7 weeks from now for the lift. I will finish my bumper and get a new muffler in that time hopefully.

Where are you having it done?

People wonder why my estimates on motor jobs are so expensive until I fill them in on how most shops work (like this one), I just include everything up front, no surprises.

Well its just a straight swap. Worn broken 4.0 I6 for new rebuilt 4.0 I6. I agreed to the extra parts and am stopping by to make sure I'm not getting ripped Sunday. I want it to be fresh and running good. There were so many things wrong with it. And the guy quoted me a short block price for a long block. It just frustrates me but somehow I knew this was going to happen. So I am getting it all resolved Sunday. After I get it back I want to do cold air intake, 10% over fuel injector, and a cat back system of some sort or a high performance muffler and possibly some headers. I'm getting my np231 transfer case replaced and my idiot light gauges replaced with some better gauges out of a 1990 that are actual gauges not idiot lights.

Well its just a straight swap. Worn broken 4.0 I6 for new rebuilt 4.0 I6. I agreed to the extra parts and am stopping by to make sure I'm not getting ripped Sunday. I want it to be fresh and running good. There were so many things wrong with it. And the guy quoted me a short block price for a long block. It just frustrates me but somehow I knew this was going to happen. So I am getting it all resolved Sunday. After I get it back I want to do cold air intake, 10% over fuel injector, and a cat back system of some sort or a high performance muffler and possibly some headers. I'm getting my np231 transfer case replaced and my idiot light gauges replaced with some better gauges out of a 1990 that are actual gauges not idiot lights.

I dont see the reason to complain about price when you agreed to have the extra parts installed. :dunno:

Cold air kit wont do anything for you, unless its a true cold air intake, not just a cone filter on the end of a shiny tube. That will just draw in all the hot air from the exhaust manifold.

Bigger injectors on a stocker is a waste IMO. May run into run problems, fuel issues, ect..

The stock exhaust works, but I wouldnt waste my money on a cat back when you can take it to a muffler shop and have new pipe and possibly a Flowmaster installed(if you like the sound). Your stock 4.0 'header' works good enough for a stock engine. You'll have to tear back off the intake to get it off/on.

SO since you got a short block, did he reuse your old head? Or send it out to a machine shop to have it checked out/rebuilt? Is the shortblock new or used? What company did he use?

No I got the long block. I was quoted $1100 for the long block but that price was for the short block. I am getting the long block I just have to pay $200 more. Which I have come to turms about. I was just venting everywhere last night.

In the future I want to run 37" BFG MT KM2's and HPD44's. Could a stock I6 push that no problem? With Front and Rear lockers rear tire carrier and winch?

No I got the long block. I was quoted $1100 for the long block but that price was for the short block. I am getting the long block I just have to pay $200 more. Which I have come to turms about. I was just venting everywhere last night.

In the future I want to run 37" BFG MT KM2's and HPD44's. Could a stock I6 push that no problem? With Front and Rear lockers rear tire carrier and winch?

5.13 gears are a MUST with that size tire. I would not run that on stock gears.

Yeah I was going to go lower gears. But the I6 should push that?
Toyota guys run 42"s with the 105hp 21ft/tq 22re.. gearing is everything

a good running 4.0L can spin 37's on dry asphalt with the proper gearing.

cool. If I dont sell them I have a HPD44 right side drop and 8 3/4. upgrade to 4.88 or 5.13 gears and a disco brake conversion. get them cut to fit. It might be spendy but might be worth it in a few years when i start getting into more crazy wheeling.

Heck, I run with a two Yota' guys running twin transfercases via marlin crawlers one of hich has 39's on a 22R. I think he has somthing like a lowest final drive of 160:1 or somthing nuts like that. Not good in mud or anything that requires a lot of wheel speed but you should see them cral up in the rocks.

Back