• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saginaw Steering Gear Rebuild?

duke000088

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering doing a rebuild on my steering gear. At the very least, I want to take it out and do the worm thrust bearing preload and over-center adjustments (as per FSM procedure). I even bought a JY gear just to practice on... I really want to do it correctly. Not really interested in the "turn the nut 1/8th turn" and test procedure.

I can get a rebuild kit from West Texas Offroad (www.westtexasoffroad.com) for $45 w/ all seals and bearings.

I came across this write-up:
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0501or_4wd_steering_box/index.html
And there is also one on Pirate. Combined with a FSM it looks do-able but after reading: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf10230.htm I'm cautious.

I don't need/want the Durango swap... and I would ordinarily just fire up a OEM-grade rebuild from NAPA or RockAuto but I'm concerned that they won't be spec'd properly at the factory (the babcox.com link above talks about getting rebuilt gears that are not technically the right gear for your application). I want it reBUILT not rePAINTED.

For measuring the over-center torque, who makes a beam or dial wrench that indicates accurately that low (5-10 INCH lb)? Other than that measurement, I feel somewhat confident I could pull off the adjustments with a little practice.

Has anyone pulled off a rebuild and/or BENCH adjustments sucessfully?

I'm considering doing a rebuild?

Has anyone pulled off a rebuild and/or BENCH adjustments sucessfully?
Years ago I rebuilt a couple. Not technically difficult, having the right tools. The results more depend upon what is wrong with the box.
If the box is in good shape, other than worm bearings or seals, then it can be rebuilt. On an older box, many time the gears or valve are worn, parts that are not included in the rebuild kit. These parts are expensive, unless you source then from another JY unit.
Why not take the JY box apart and rebuild it or practice on it?
Take it apart before ordering the parts to see what the core needs.

I have also tried removing the XJ box and bench adjusting the bearings. It worked but the looseness came back within a few hundred miles, leading me to think that once the box gets loose, the bearing are on their way out, assuming the box was originally tight.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Years ago I rebuilt a couple. Not technically difficult, having the right tools. The results more depend upon what is wrong with the box.
If the box is in good shape, other than worm bearings or seals, then it can be rebuilt. On an older box, many time the gears or valve are worn, parts that are not included in the rebuild kit. These parts are expensive, unless you source then from another JY unit.
Why not take the JY box apart and rebuild it or practice on it?
Take it apart before ordering the parts to see what the core needs.

I have also tried removing the XJ box and bench adjusting the bearings. It worked but the looseness came back within a few hundred miles, leading me to think that once the box gets loose, the bearing are on their way out, assuming the box was originally tight.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Good info - thanks. I do plan on breaking down the JY unit for practice... I'd like to have my DD down for as little time as possible.

And I totally hear you regarding the adjustments not holding up for very long... I have read that other places. So, maybe after all is said and done it won't be the most worthwhile pursuit. Still, it would be good to know how to do it.
Once, about 2 years ago, I brought my Jeep in to a dealership for steering service. They diagnosed a few minor things (torn grease boots on TRE's etc.) but also mentioned that the tech "adjusted the steering box." At the time, I had no idea what that meant. The steering felt great afterwards. But - just like you said - not very long after (couple months?) it was right back where it started. I never really put it all together until you mentioned that. The kicker to me is that they presumably did the adjustment with the box on the vehicle.

Back