• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting a junkyard alternator

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my alternator is almost dead and i want to go to the junkyard to get a newer one but i want to know if there are any out there that are better and will bolt in without any moding or any changing of the wires

i heard that later model cherokees where better and there was no moding needed to be done to the wiring or brackets its this true?

thanks alot
mike

I'm not sure the later alt brackets are the same. Other mods for alts seem to imply the 88-90 bracket needs to be ground, or the alt frame relieved to fit.

But its not impossible, and nobody seems to check if the newer bracket fits the older block, which could be the easiest solution.

Un bolt the brackets and grind a little off. Mostly casting marks and your good to go. FYI I found it easier to take the battery, mechanical fan and shroud out to get the alt in and out.

The early XJ's had a AC Delco alternator. Some on here have out fitted it with a h igher output replacement. Later XJ's that have the Denso unit have two choices. The OEM XJ unit which requires no mod and the higher output unit (see post from Mutant_Xj) which requires some massaging of the mounting bracket and the engine block. I am using one from a V8 Dakota rated at 136 AMP, a large portion of that AMP becoming available at a very low RPM.

I've got a Delco 125a that I pucked up for under 100$

If you cant find a JY hi amp any alternator shop can upgrade either the delco , or the denso to a higher amp using your existing alternator.

Last Hi amp I had done was $125.....

If you have the denso alt it will. I don't know what years the denso's started but I think yours should be one. just check it out and see if its similar to the ones in the pictures.

91+ is regulated through the PCM and the older models 87-90 are regulated in the alternator. Any options for us Renix guys w/ the Delco units?

Great that this popped to the top, my alt on the XJ just siezed up (its been sitting/in storage for a year now, not really suprised).... but I need a new one so its a matter of "will it work". I rfead the article posted early on grands... but what year grands will work for the upgraded alternator. Are they limied to the years listed in the artical or all years? and also, are the upgraded alternators only found on 6 cyl grands or only 8 cyl grands or were they interchangeable?

Hell, if I am buying an alternator anyway and I cant find a decent one at the pull yard might as well buy and upgrade rather than a stock unit, lol. I know (after core return) it will cost about $110 (give or take $10) to replace my alt with a stock unit...

To all the guys with the Delco alternators(renix jeeps) Any of the Gm/Delco alternators will swap in. If you're buying new, just find a GM application with the hi amp rating, and you have an upgrade. If you're getting a used unit from a junkyard, look for a GM truck or a Caddy(or any car with a lot of elec. accessories)
Another JY tip: Replace the brushes before you install the used alt. Brushes are cheap. If a brush lets go, it'll burn out the diode and regulator

Great that this popped to the top, my alt on the XJ just siezed up (its been sitting/in storage for a year now, not really suprised).... but I need a new one so its a matter of "will it work". I rfead the article posted early on grands... but what year grands will work for the upgraded alternator. Are they limied to the years listed in the artical or all years? and also, are the upgraded alternators only found on 6 cyl grands or only 8 cyl grands or were they interchangeable?

Hell, if I am buying an alternator anyway and I cant find a decent one at the pull yard might as well buy and upgrade rather than a stock unit, lol. I know (after core return) it will cost about $110 (give or take $10) to replace my alt with a stock unit...

I do not know if they are limited in years. I do not think so. I do know the V8 equipped Grand's have the higher AMP alternator. Mine was from an '06 (I think) Dakota.

I do know the V8 equipped Grand's have the higher AMP alternator.

x2, i helped a friend move his 92' denso up top, and replaced it with a v8 grand cherokee alt, 136A, everything was great, except the pulley has an extra rib, i was custom mounting mine at the time, so making sure it aligned was not a problem. you can usually sneak your regular denso alternator past the counter jockey at the parts store as a core.

Per: Hollander Exchange

I may be hasta... although someone might find this useful. I may put it in a new thread.

Per: Hollander Exchange all of these listed below should be direct bolt on, With no grinding. Only difference would be the voltage.

A ----------

CHEROKEE 91 90 amp

CHEROKEE 92-95 (90 amp)

COMANCHE 91 90 amp

COMANCHE 92 (90 amp)

GRAND CHEROKEE 93-95 (90 amp), 6-242 (4.0L)

GRAND WAGONEER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 92-95 (90 amp)

B ----------

CHEROKEE 96-98 (117 amp)

DAKOTA 96 117 amp (2.5L, ident #56005685)

DAKOTA 97-99 117 amp, 4 cyl

DAKOTA 00 117 amp, 2.5L

GRAND CHEROKEE 96-97 6-242 (4.0L), 90 amp

GRAND CHEROKEE 98 6-242 (4.0L), 117 amp

WRANGLER 97-99 117 amp

WRANGLER 00 2.5L, 117 amp

C ----------

DAKOTA 97-99 136 amp, 4 cyl

DAKOTA 00 136 amp, 2.5L

GRAND CHEROKEE 96-97 6-242 (4.0L), 120 amp

GRAND CHEROKEE 98 6-242 (4.0L), 136 amp

D ----------

WRANGLER 97-99 81 amp

WRANGLER 00-02 2.5L, 81 amp

Re: Per: Hollander Exchange

I may be hasta... although someone might find this useful. I may put it in a new thread.

Per: Hollander Exchange all of these listed below should be direct bolt on, With no grinding. Only difference would be the voltage.

A ----------

CHEROKEE 91 90 amp

CHEROKEE 92-95 (90 amp)

COMANCHE 91 90 amp

COMANCHE 92 (90 amp)

GRAND WAGONEER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 92-95 (90 amp)

[and continued, but I didnt want to take up THAT much space witha quote]

I thought the Grand/dakota/etc alts needed some grinding or minor work to get them to fit? So your saying I can go to a junkyard, pull an alt from one of the listed 136A vehicles (or hell, anything above the stock 90A), drive home, and bolt it in place of my XJ alt with no other real work involved? If they bolt in are there any differences in pulleys (the extra rib or something like that or was it changed, and does the extra rib even matter or will the belt just set in and not use the last rib)?

Now I am confused and still need an alt, and would rather upgrade than go stock. lol.

Re: Per: Hollander Exchange

A ----------

CHEROKEE 91 90 amp

CHEROKEE 92-95 (90 amp)

COMANCHE 91 90 amp

COMANCHE 92 (90 amp)

GRAND WAGONEER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 91 90 amp

WRANGLER 92-95 (90 amp)

[and continued, but I didnt want to take up THAT much space witha quote]

I thought the Grand/dakota/etc alts needed some grinding or minor work to get them to fit? So your saying I can go to a junkyard, pull an alt from one of the listed 136A vehicles (or hell, anything above the stock 90A), drive home, and bolt it in place of my XJ alt with no other real work involved? If they bolt in are there any differences in pulleys (the extra rib or something like that or was it changed, and does the extra rib even matter or will the belt just set in and not use the last rib)?

Now I am confused and still need an alt, and would rather upgrade than go stock. lol.

Edit: and the 97-99 wrangler was listed twice on that list, both for 117A and 81A... Should I assume an error, or that they were from different engine options or package options?

I am using a Dakota 136 AMP alternator. I had to do some grinding in order to get the mounting bolts into the alternator and mounting bracket. The mounting bolt holes are the same. However, the body of the Dakota alternator is larger than the body of the stock XJ alternator.

Alright, thanks, after actually pulling the alt I THINK I know what will need to be ground and it doesnt seem like a major project so I will probably install one rather than stock replacement.. Few things though
1) Is there any thing special I would have to do to make it line up properly (or am I correct in reading that the issue is not with alignment but with getting the alt itself to fit all the way into the bracket).
2) Is the grinding that needs to be done on the bracket or on the engine block itself (or both). And this can be done with stock mounting location, not just with alt up top, right?
3) Is the stock XJ wiring up to the job or does it need to be upgraded?

Last edited:
Back