• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead jeep, need help please

memphisraines26

NAXJA Forum User
so our jeep right now is the wife's get around since she only works a couple days a week. She took the jeep to run an errand and came home. Jeep was running fine when parked. went back the next day and it wont start. Gas gauge show's low but I don't hear the starter turning over regardless. I pulled the starter, went to autozone to test it, it passed twice, came home to re-install, and still nothing! So now I'm stuck! when i turn it over I can hear the fuel pump prime and low short 2-3 sec high pitch hum. so i need help to whats next to get this running again.

Life begins with the battery. Get it fully charged and have it load tested--and it doesn't matter if it was new last week.

While the battery is getting a full charge, clean the cable ends and renew all of the grounds.

With a fully charged battery and clean cable ends and renewed grounds, if the starter still won't crank try jumping across the B+ and solenoid pos at the starter. If it won't crank then it is the starter or the solenoid. If it does crank then check the starter relay on the passenger side firewall, and it has its own ground too. If the starter relay tests good, then check your ignition switch at the foot of the steering column.

Good Luck, but remember, if you haven't fully charged the battery and had it load tested, then you're just P/ing into the wind.

You can check if the problem is the NSS by jumping the B+ and soleniod pos wire at the starter--that bypasses the NSS.

Ok a local guy came over and looked things over with me.

we turn the key into on, jumped the relay wire with the + battery terminal, and it started!

started with messing with the ignition switch and it wont turn back into lock position to pull the key out.

down the column, under the dash there is a bracket holding a cable loose. we found a 8mm? sized nut in the floor board but not sure how to reattach correctly. This might be part of the problem since the key doesnt turn all the way forward nor back now. :(

well the ignition i didnt really do anything with, just happened at once. I'm beginning to believe this was the culprit to start with. :helpme: now, as joe as helped so far, it seems to be the Park Lock Cable. Need to find a manuel with pics to show this.

That nut is likely the one that holds the ignition switch and the bracket that supports the interlock cable that runs over to the shifter. As I recall there are two attachments for the switch -- one is a screw at the top and the other a screw/stud combination that screws in to hold the switch and then a nut to hold the interlock cable bracket.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If the switch has moved. you may have to adjust it slightly up or down. The starter contacts will not engage if the switch is out of adjustment. Note that there is only a tiny bit of adjustment but too much one way or the other will prevent the starter or accessory position from working. If only the nut came off, hopefully you will only have to replace it along with the bracket.

That nut is likely the one that holds the ignition switch and the bracket that supports the interlock cable that runs over to the shifter. As I recall there are two attachments for the switch -- one is a screw at the top and the other a screw/stud combination that screws in to hold the switch and then a nut to hold the interlock cable bracket.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If the switch has moved. you may have to adjust it slightly up or down. The starter contacts will not engage if the switch is out of adjustment. Note that there is only a tiny bit of adjustment but too much one way or the other will prevent the starter or accessory position from working. If only the nut came off, hopefully you will only have to replace it along with the bracket.

yeh seems something has happened. i must have lost a screw somewhere.

jeepparklockcable.jpg

this is what i'm looking at and only see one nut and no other screws. I can see where the nut goes but not how that bracket attaches on the column. :helpme:

Looks to me like the cable bracket slips over the stud, then the nut on top.

To the right of the stud is the bolt/self tapping screw.

Looks to me like the cable bracket slips over the stud, then the nut on top.

To the right of the stud is the bolt/self tapping screw.

didnt know since it has that lil tab if it just simply went over the top.

so after the nut is on, i will have to adjust that and the console shifter?

thanks Joe!

i was messing with the ignition part and got the key released as well. nervous about putting it all back and adjusting.

Last edited:
You have to get the ignition switch adjusted.

Let me check the FSM on the Park-Lock cable.

Back