• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To cut or not to cut

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
Need and opinion, should I cut where this line is and then plate it to make a winch mount?? orrrr should I leave it as square tube (for rigidity perhaps?) and just make a plate off the face to mount the winch? heres the picture for an idea.

IMG_0123.jpg

Cut..then reinforce.

How thick is the material?

The top section of the bumper where my chalk line is is 1/4 thick square tube thats 4x4, and that lower half is just 1/4 flat stock I used to protect my lower rad support. the bumper brackets are 1/4 thick at well.

I'd add a 5th bolt somewhere on the mount, sleeved thru the frame..

then cut and reinforce.

You may be able to sink the winch into the grill a little, to keep the weight back, and help with clearance.

I'd add a 5th bolt somewhere on the mount, sleeved thru the frame..

then cut and reinforce.

Thanks cal I'll go with that. do you think I should notch it lower in the bumper to get the winch out of the way of the radiator?

Thanks cal I'll go with that. do you think I should notch it lower in the bumper to get the winch out of the way of the radiator?

You may have enough room to sink it inside the bumper. Look at the "Loose-Nuts-Enterprises" bumper.

Here, let me find you some pics of mine, will post again in a minute.

jeep-side.jpg

Winch is totally inside the bumper. If I moved the control box, you wouldnt be able to see it at all. Even if it didn't -quite- fit, you could probably get away with it only sticking up 1 or 2 inches.

:EDIT:

I didn't notice the bottom of your bumper isn't flat. You could probably modify it to work, though.

jeep-side.jpg

Winch is totally inside the bumper. If I moved the control box, you wouldnt be able to see it at all.

Ahhh ok I'm going to see if that is an option i have thanks! I'll post up when I'm done tonight of the progress. -Eric

jeep-side.jpg

Winch is totally inside the bumper. If I moved the control box, you wouldnt be able to see it at all. Even if it didn't -quite- fit, you could probably get away with it only sticking up 1 or 2 inches.

:EDIT:

I didn't notice the bottom of your bumper isn't flat. You could probably modify it to work, though.

what size tires do you run cal?

hey cal, i gotta turn my screen on its side to tell what you are talking about :spin1:

I guess I'll post it here too...
After looking at your mounts, I'd say you need to add another bolt or two (sleeved in the unirail as cal mentioned). Then cut done into the bumper like you have marked out, but possibly a little more and then pushed back into the grill more. They winch is a relatively small profile (no huge integrated solenoid) so you should be able to tuck it in much further.
Also, while you are in there, get rid of those towhooks and add some d-ring mounts that are tied in as far back as you can.

Back