• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crunching grinding noise from D30

mini=man

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 4.0 HO and AW4(If it matters) with a d30 front that is making a strange noise from the driver's side. I replaced both U-Joints last spring with some spicer grease-less joints and it doesnt sound like it did last year so I don't think it's that. It only does it if I'm just shy of full lock to the right backing up. It also sound like I have a bearing going when on the highway that starts making noise at about 55. Could this be the problem or two different?

I have a 94 4.0 HO and AW4(If it matters) with a d30 front that is making a strange noise from the driver's side. I replaced both U-Joints last spring with some spicer grease-less joints and it doesnt sound like it did last year so I don't think it's that. It only does it if I'm just shy of full lock to the right backing up. It also sound like I have a bearing going when on the highway that starts making noise at about 55. Could this be the problem or two different?

test/inspect the unit bearing hubs.

Could it be anything else so while I'm checking that I can check others? Also are the bearings pressed into the hubs like a Doge truck where I need the entire assembly or can I get just the bearing in need be.

Could it be anything else so while I'm checking that I can check others? Also are the bearings pressed into the hubs like a Doge truck where I need the entire assembly or can I get just the bearing in need be.

"sounds" are hard to diagnos, especially from just a description. so yes, it could be something other than the hub. check/inspect anything near the tire/wheel area.

jack up the drivers side tire and grab the tire at the top(12 oclock) and bottom(6 oclock) and try to pick up or rock the tire. if there is any movement, the bearings in the hub are worn.

ive heard that some people have serviced just the bearings, but most people just replace the entire hub.

based on your description, I'd say it's probably the hub assby. You could also have a failed ball joint on that side, but they will normally give you more signs of movement (clunks going over minor bumps) in both directions before they get worn enough to cause noises at speed.

Back