• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8

tom

NAXJA Forum User
have a 2001 xj and was looking for a 87 ,88 or 89 dana 44 that i was told is a direct bolt on with no fab. don't know if thats true. now a buddy has found a 8.8 out of a 95 or so explorer complete withdisc brakes for 200.00 is that a direct bolt on since the perch measurments are about 40 in. or am i better off to wait and find that xj 44. thanx confused tom in ca.

IMO an 8.8 is a better swap than the D44 because you get disc brakes at the same time. However it is not a direct swap, you need to move the spring perches and run brake lines. Still not a huge deal, I am very happy with mine.

An 8.8 is not a bolt-on swap. You would need to cut off the spring perches, and re-weld them on top of the axle (since it's spring-under), and convert the pinion to a yoke that will work with your driveshaft.

An XJ D44 will be a direct bolt-on. You can use your stock driveshaft, your stock e-brake cables, your stock diff breather, et c.

I would go with the 8.8 because although it will take a little time repositioning the spring perches, an XJ d44 is really hard to find and if people know what they got, they will be twice as much as your $200 8.8

I agree, I found and D44 for $1200 Canadian, I picked up a disk brakes, 4.10 pozi 8.8 for 800 bucks,,, only deciding to regear it after deciding to go with 4.56s over 4.10s. I suggest finding an 8.8. 300 bucks gets you a 3.55 or 3.73 gearing... if that works for you then you get to set your pinion angle properly if you are running a lift which is an added bonus

twisted_ed said:
I suggest finding an 8.8. 300 bucks gets you a 3.55 or 3.73 gearing...
You can find alot of them with 4.10's & a lsd. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
You can find alot of them with 4.10's & a lsd. JIM.

Not in British Columbia Canada you can't They are almost as rare as a XJ Dana 44.

tom said:
have a 2001 xj and was looking for a 87 ,88 or 89 dana 44 that i was told is a direct bolt on with no fab. don't know if thats true. now a buddy has found a 8.8 out of a 95 or so explorer complete withdisc brakes for 200.00 is that a direct bolt on since the perch measurments are about 40 in. or am i better off to wait and find that xj 44. thanx confused tom in ca.

the swap isnt all that hard...

let me know if you need a hand - im in Benicia quite often and have done a rear axle swap before...

read here:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Back