• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any stock axles with 4.88 gears from junk yard donor vehicles, that fit xj?

akxj01

NAXJA Forum User
...it may be better for me to get axles from the junkyard with the gears i want as opposed to buying new ones and installing.

so, to be clear i am looking for front and rear axles off other vehicles with stock 4.88 gears that will fit on a 2001 xj.

...it may be better for me to get axles from the junkyard with the gears i want as opposed to buying new ones and installing.

so, to be clear i am looking for front and rear axles off other vehicles with stock 4.88 gears that will fit on a 2001 xj.
no, closest i can think of is a 4 banger yota, with tow package, 92+ those are only 4.30
and still need a front end..and fabrication skills

:rof::rof::rof:

scratch that first post, what gear ratios are semi's running, plus then you get sweet 2 speed rear end. :roflmao::piratefla

Unimog axles + 2x4's + railroad ties = perfection.

oh. nope nothing will be that easy welcome to the world of XJ's :)

1 ton axles may have 4.56's but lots of fab has to do with it. so the answer is no. there are no axles that have 4.88's that is a stright bolt up to an XJ.

here are cheap options i was gonna go with if i didnt get gears and lockers in axles for cheap:

4cyl manual xj 4.56(hard to find though, ive never seen em at a junkyard)
4cyl yj or auto xj 4.11
look for a 8.8 31spline with 4.10's.
yota v6 rearend with 4.11's
keep your eyes on local for sale forums adn craigslist for deals

why so deep to 4.88s??
i like mine but i would have been more than happy with 4.11s for 150$ an axle from the junkyard....
plus the small pinion gear....
my old build was gonna be a 8.8 or yota v6 with 4.11s and a 4 cyl front with 4.10s and aussies to keep it cheap and relatively easy.

Back