• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear U-Joint problem! Need help

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've gone through 3 u-joints on the rear driveshaft(axle end) in the last month and a half or so and it's starting to get ridiculous. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I grease them up every time I install one. I can't seem to figure it out. Any help at all would be great. Thanks!

I've gone through 3 u-joints on the rear driveshaft(axle end) in the last month and a half or so and it's starting to get ridiculous. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I grease them up every time I install one. I can't seem to figure it out. Any help at all would be great. Thanks!

More info needed.

What kind of drive shaft?
What kind of slip joint?
What kind of rear suspension?
What are your DS angles?

Are you making sure you get the bolts/straps on really, really tight? You might be tightening them too much. There are little needle bearings in there.

4.5 rustys lift. have TC drop (no funds for SYE just yet). 33" tires. Rear leafs are in great condition. Not sure of driveshaft angles. Hope this helps
It helps explain why your eating u-joints!

You should examine your DS angles. Equal and opposite is the rule.
Should look sort of like this [TC] -\_ [Axle]

If it looks like [TC] _/- [Axle] that's wrong and will break U-Joints.

If you have a 96 and up, Remove the DS and make sure your slipjoint is lubricated.

Make sure the DS is not too long and bottoming out on the yoke (usually not a problem when you lift a vehicle).

With stock straps, you can't get then too tight if you put them on with a small hand wrench.

I had to get my yoke off the internet, got it from quadratec I think for 25$ shipped and I had it in a couple days (quadratec's pretty quick usually)... and im pretty sure thats where I got it and how much I paid... It was a couple years ago.

When my tab was missing I put one of the clips that the ujoint comes with in its place, and then covered it in JB Weld, and let it sit overnight (had that cap facing up so it settled into the hole to hold hte clip in, which held the cap in) That held for a couple weeks until I got stupid with it and I absolutely tore the yoke into 3 pieces, but it would have held for quite some time if I just drove normal. Not saying this is a good fix, but it will hold it for ya if you need the XJ to get to work in the mean time or something

Edit: $50 on quadratec if you have an 8.25 axle (maybe its more than when I got it or maybe I just forgot what I paid)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=XJ+yoke&submit=Go!

Back