• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj plastic battery tray need advice quick

miketyson

NAXJA Forum User
while loosening my battery from tray (long bolts on either side) one of the bolts broke the plastic battery tray before the nut would give. (was barely pushing.. brittle plastic)

the ring on the plastic tray is now broken making the bolt useless and battery is not really tied down anymore. does anyone have a fix for this? i would like to avoid going to the dealer if possible, are there after market replacements? (higher quality); does anyone know how much a new dealer tray & tie down bolts might cost?

it is a cheap looking plastic part so someone else must have had this problem.

in the mean time, am i in immediate danger if my battery is not securely tied down? i could see a problem if i flip upside down or high speed jumping but those things really aren't in the plans.

thanks

pick one up at the pick and pull, fab one out of light gauge steel and coat with bed liner. Lots of different possibilities if you think about it.

no real danger not being tied down unless you are wheeling or get into an accident. As stated before a pick and pull would be your best bet. I haven't looked at the tray in a while, but would you be able to drill a hole in the tray and just slide the bolt through for a temp fix. The only problem I could think of is somehow the battery shorting itself by hitting the hood but he chances of that are slim if its just driving on the road

Here you go quick, easy and cheap. It says for up to 94 but it will work on yours. It's the same in all XJ's

http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/cherplasbatt.html

i been looking at that same part on quadratec. going by the picture i think it works for <96 because 97+ has a battery temp sensor hole and seat in the bottom of the tray, i could drill the hole but i cant make a seat/lip like the real part has.. dealer wants $60 which is a terrible rip off

any other ideas? im thinking a small ratchet strap or some of those oversize zip ties might be good enough

thanks,

edit * anyone know a good pick&pull in eastern MA, Boston area?

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a cheap $10 tray. Bring it home, modify it to fit and drill out the needed holes.
I did that when I wanted a taller battery to fit.
It works great!

A couple of heavy duty zip-ties will do nicely -- possibly stronger than the original clamping system but not as convenient.

Back