• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine surging while cruising?

catal77

NAXJA Forum User
hello all i have a 99 xj. and two days ago i installed a new car alarm because my xj was broken into a few weeks ago.
Also did an oil change. and added a quart of dex 3 to the tranny. next day while heading to the store, truck started surging when i would accelerate. It doesn't do it all the time just once in a while. checked fault codes had p0132 and p0135 but i don't think that would cause intermittent surging. So I come to you very enlightened xj owners for info on causes. Just bought it 3 weeks ago.

p0132, and 135 are related to an o2 sensor. it could be bad or the o2 fuse may be blown. it that is the caes you will have to look for the reason for the blown fuse. that can also be the reason for your driveability concerns.

i checked the fuses under the hood and all were good. I am gonna have to replace the 02 sensor tomorrow. one more q, does your check engine light come on with key on engine off. Mine does not.
My scanner says the mil is on but its not. I am thinking the previous owner took it out.

well i guess i will pull the cluster out tomorrow too and see if the bulb is missing. busy day.
thanks for the help.

it should for the bulb check

Correct, and if there are codes thrown it will stay lit after the bulb check.

Previous Owner may have removed it, or it simply may be blown. Only one way to find out!

Back