• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home-made snorkler for water fording

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
hey, im new here and i tried to find some pic/how to for a home-made snorkler for deeper water but i couldnt find! i typed in "snorkler" in the search feature and only one came up!

anyone have a good idea or pic on how to home-made a snorkler to share? i dont mind on the looking, all i want is functional of the snorkler as my jeep's for off-road ONLY rig btw

im thinking either get a long flexible hose and clamp it on the throttle body and cut a hole in the hood and mount the filter/hose on the roof rack. OR do the farm tractor style as a piece of PVC pipe going straight up from the throttle body through the hood and mount the filter on top. OR do some routing with the PVC pipe to the top of the windshield, again going through the hood.

i dont want it to go out the fender as i may chop it off from off roading, sideswipes against a rock boulder, tree, mud, other jeep, etc

most importantly, this gotta be cheap too LOL

thank in advance fellows.

Snorkler....:roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry, I've just never heard anyone call it that before!

Anyways, I'm assuming you have a '95 by the looks of your screen name...correct? There's a very cheap and easy way to relocate your air intake over on the other side of your engine up closer to the hood using some pvc and a 1990 Prelude filter. It's not a "snorkel" but at least it moves your intake from behind the headlight up higher and further away from water during entry. That's the problem with the factory setup...the intake is at about the lowest point during entry into the water.

Come on do we have to pick on him he just wanted some help. I thought that this what this site was all about. Anyway I had made one out of three inch PVC for my sidekick a bunch of elbows and 45* bends It came out nice looking. Do not glue it up till you get it fit right. you should be able to get it to fit to the body pretty good. Some other parts i used were some flex tube from autozone I think it was made by specter they have all diff colors you will see it by the intake and filter shit. To mount it to the windshield pillar I used some PVC hangers cut to size bent and drilled (lowes or home depot). The worst part was drilling a 4in hole in the fender after that there is no turning back.
Would post some pics can not figure out how.

No body is picking on him. I just thought it was funny...the others did as well! I'm sure he just mis-heard someone or whoever he heard the idea from didn't know what it was called. Besides...I've probably given the best advice. He would get a high up intake without having to drill a hole. Like you said, no turning back! I have a renix or else I'd give him pics. I'll have to snap some from my friends HO engine so he can see how to do what I'm talking about.

I'm picking on him!

First I'm posting this is in a friendly sort of way, O.K.?

If you want people to take the time to help you at the very least you could take a moment to look over the question you are about to post. Check it to see if it makes sense and if it has any glaring errors. If you spelling ability is lacking, run a spell checker! If it wasn't for google spell check folks would think a five year old was posting when I write!

Good luck with your intake:cheers:

Lol so why are you schooling this guy when you just basically said you have the grammar ability of a 5 year old?? Sorry, thats funny. But anyways, I want to make a cheapy snorkel too, so what do you guys have to offer??

haha, my bad, i should've checked the spelling, that would help a lot

and yes i have the 95' Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0

after the first post of the correct spelling, i researched with correct spelling, i got tons of finds, i found a few i liked but not sure how some works. one i found that i like that it have the front opening sealed up and have a PVC pipe going in the back side of the air cleaner box and it's routed right into and through the firewall beside the brake components. i couldnt find pics how its done on the inside of the firewall.

DownloadedPicsFromCard022.jpg

DownloadedPicsFromCard032.jpg

found in this thread

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82281&highlight=Snorkel&page=2

also the pictures i posted above, i like that a lot because so i wont have problem with any sort of piping/tubing being in my way of the view and more prone to be damaged

very nice but dont think so haha

i just looked at the pictures closely, and i now know that all he did is routed the pipe into the cowl and leave as is, i might will want to do some more than that as i fear that i may have the water over and into the cowl one day

thanks for the input

Lol so why are you schooling this guy when you just basically said you have the grammar ability of a 5 year old?? Sorry, thats funny. But anyways, I want to make a cheapy snorkel too, so what do you guys have to offer??

Actually, I didn't say anything. What I wrote is that my spelling ability was comparable to that of a five year old. It was stated as somewhat of an exaggeration. My grammatical skill is slightly more than passable.

Oh ya and he's not doing an intake...SNORKEL!!!

Yes, Ace I understand what it is.
Unless it is non functional, i.e. for show only, it is then a component in the intake side of the engine. FYI - on a normally aspirated engine any part or assembly that draws air in to the combustion chamber is part of the intake...

I'll just put this out there for you to ponder:
If it's not the intake (or pat of it), how exactly would you classify it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Back