• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

max tire size for 3.07 gearing

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
alright so i have a 97 5speed xj with a 3" lift that has stock tires so far. i want to put 31's on but i am not sure because my gearing is 3.07 . do u think i can get away with it? whats the biggest i should go?

Ive also got a 5sp, Ive got 30s on mine and its fine. you will just be using 4low more offroad. 31 should be fine. you "could" go bigger even but it would probly be a dog.

Wow. I hope you don't like 5th gear. It'll work. It just won't like those long uphill interstate stretches. 4.10s would be nicer, but I think you knew that.

whats the biggest i should go?

stock/235's....seriously. i realize everyone's opinion is different on gearing, but without the converter slip anything beyond stock size tires really sucks with a 5sp and the 3.07's. i'm on 3.07's and 245/75/16's(about a 31"), it SUCKS in sand and 5th is pretty useless until 75+. it's doable, but i wouldn't consider it permanent.

I'm in with the stock size only for 3.07 gears (and I've been driving sticks for 30 years.) I ran 31x10.50s with 3.07s for about 4 months and just hated it.

x3 on stock tire size.

i lived with 31's and a 5 spd for about a year until i regeared to 4.10

5th gear was useless when going up any grade on the highway.

only cool thing was you could really whined the gears out on flat/level roads.

Last edited:
I ran 31s on my 3.07's for almost a year. Say goodbye to 5th gear. I didn't think it was terrible at the time, but then I got 4.10s. What a difference.

Im also running 32s on 3.07.... it sucks really bad. My next mod is gears for sure. I can still run I-70 though :scottm:!!! 5th gear is non existant. Im thinking 4.56 for 33s or 35s.

I'm running 31's with 3.07's as well. Its not terrible but re-gearing is definitely on the to do list. I run in 5th all the time on the flats but not on hills thats for sure. I think it more depends on how your jeep runs than anything else. I ran the same set up on the old heep and it was a dog. The new one runs much better (about 2/3 the mileage).

Doable but...

I'm running 31's with 3.07's as well. Its not terrible but re-gearing is definitely on the to do list. I run in 5th all the time on the flats but not on hills thats for sure. I think it more depends on how your jeep runs than anything else. I ran the same set up on the old heep and it was a dog. The new one runs much better (about 2/3 the mileage).

+1 on that.
I'm on 31's and AX15 w/3.07 it's not so bad but I'm sure it will be like night and day when I go to 4.10's

I was looking at getting a set of 30's (to go on a set of 18" wheels I picked up cheap). So I guess this isn't such a good idea with the 5-speed transmission?

haha very true...

And i couldnt use 5th on the highway unless i wanted to downshift a lot. But i got 16 city and 19 highway so you suck my bawsllls

Agreed in that, 33x12.50's on 3.07s, and I usually averaged about 18-20 MPG, though I did probably 2/3 of my daily commute to work on the highway.

Other than that, if you going to run big on the stock gearing, well just be prepared to cycle clutch fluid often. The clutch hates it, and I found it liked to burn the clutch fluid. That and match revs on every shift you make. I put my Jeep in storage and finally got it running again today (well it was running for a few seconds before it broke again :D) but in those few seconds I tried to put it into first... no go. Fluids old so I didnt expect anything but its also a bit burnt so it works like ass. You will know if your fluids going bad, you will be able to feel it in the pedal.

Does the tire weight affect this??? or it´s all about the diameter??
because there are 32 tires lighter than some 31s

Back