• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few questions...

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1998 GC 5.9. I need to pull the NP 249 out. It grinds when pulling into 4-lo. Plus it has a lot of slop when braking.

1.) What company would you recommend for me to purchase a NP 231 from?

2.) Do you like Tom Woods drive shafts?

3.) Am I thinking correctly for a T.C. replacement?

I have enough cash to spend only once for now. I don't want to f-up the new parts with all the power and torque from the 5.9. I have read that I need to find a NP 242 from a 95+ Grand. I have also read that the NP 231 is a better choice. If you buy a NP 242, your planning on driving in snow a lot. Well, I don't.

4.) Is a NP 231 ok from a 1989+ Cherokee?

231 is ghey.. 5.9 torque in a lifted RWD ZJ is going to make for a dangerous DD IMO.

Well the 231 and the 242 both have their perks, but the number one choice is 231. Im trying to figure out how to get one? No one on craigs has one in my area or in Salem. And I'm wanting to know if Tom Woods drive shafts are worth buying or if there is a way to run stock drive shafts. Give me the low down on my individual situation please. Would help a lot!

I would recomend a np242 if this is mainly a street ZJ, the fulltime 4wd is awesome to use in the rain or in the dry so you don't peel out when excelerating hard from a stop. This is what I have in my street XJ and I use it regularly. I have seen more ZJ's swap to 242's than 231's for this exact reason. Being it is a 5.9 ZJ it will peel out like crazy in the rain or even on dry pavement only being in 2wd if you give it more throttle than is required.

Think about it, it rains here more than the sun shines. What is the point of your big 5.9 V8 if every time you give it more than 1/4 throttle from a stop it just sits there and smokes a tire. Have fun pulling out into traffic in the rain! You might as well be driving a honda civic............

Alright I think someone finally has a good picture here! Who else is thinking this?

But...Am I going to need to drive in 4-Hi all rainy days?

Or should I just learn how to drive it? Is the there a learning curve, or is it that sensitive?

Back