• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ parts compatability

To start off: I know there are a couple threads regarding junkyard upgrades. But I wanted to focus in on parts from just one vehicle- the ZJ. I know there are quite a few parts from a ZJ that we can use on our XJs. I have quite a few on my rig. Hell, I starting to wonder if she has more ZJ or more XJ parts on her. So heres a list of what I have from a ZJ on my XJ so far:

V8 ZJ alternator
V8 ZJ tie rod
ZJ pitman arm
ZJ shift handle (not installed yet)
ZJ proportioning valve
ZJ rear disk brakes

And here is some other parts that I have heard to be upgrades:

front coil springs
LCAs
front drive shaft
overhead console
gas tank skid (for 97+ XJs)
front seats (95+ XJs)
rear split seat
e brake cables
And I know there is more but I cant think of them off hand.

I am wanting to compile a list of parts to snag off of a ZJ when I find them at the junkyard. Again, I know there are other vehicles at the junkyard with parts that are compatable/upgrade for our XJs, but I am wanting specifically on parts to grab from a ZJ (in the rare occasions that I find them).

I am a cheep bastard and would rather get a junkyard upgrade than having to shell out too much cash for an aftermarket that does the same thing.

grab a V8 swaybar, great upgrade for on road manners!

will the front driveshaft work as a read driveshaft in the xj? if you had the auto tranny SYE and 44? will it work better than a front xj driveshaft?

will the front driveshaft work as a read driveshaft in the xj? if you had the auto tranny SYE and 44? will it work better than a front xj driveshaft?

im not sure on what the different lenghts are. i would measure your front ds and find one on a zj the same lenth. IIRC there were a few different legths with different trans/tc options.

V8 ZJ alternator
V8 ZJ tie rod
ZJ pitman arm

Are these bolt in with no other mods required?

yes, the tie rod (put it on last night) and the pitman arm are bolt in. the tie rod is way beefier and has a bend to help clear the diff cover. the pitman arm is about 1" drop for us vs stock and is otherwise the same.

the alternator is not bolt in but is increadably easy. minor clearanceing on the bracket and swapping out the plastic piece that orientates the output wire. the zj alt is 136 amp compared to our stock 90 amp unit. here is a good write up on that one- http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/. when i did mine, i ordered a remanufactured alt for a 97 zj from napa. i didnt want to have to wait to find a 97 or 98 at the junkyard. if you can then its a great find.

Back