• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Messed Up Pulley... HELP!

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had my harmonic balancer seperate (the rubber bushing-thing dissolved) just before a road trip (whoa!), so all quick replies are much appreciated!

First of all, how does this thing go together? Do I have to change the whole thing, or could I press in a new "bushing"? How much time would you estimate this to take? Is there anything more I need to know?

Thank you!

Go to parts store, get new pulley, ~$80 or so.
Remove bolt, remove the key, pull old one off, put new one on, reinstall woodruffkey put bolt back in. Easy in theory, can be a SOB in practice. Personally I yank the radiator unless I have access to a lift.

yea, better fix that cause it'll push the outside of the pully into the engine and make a nice notch in it. And it'll make a god awful noise too.

oem about $68, question for Rich, mine didn't come w/new key, can I use the old one?

Thanks,

mikeny59 said:
oem about $68, question for Rich, mine didn't come w/new key, can I use the old one?

Thanks,
Key is cut for the shaft, if you loose the old one you need to get an assortment of new ones and find the closest fit then go to work with a file to fine tune it :D

Not so much worried about losing the original key, but was unsure if it needed to replaced as a matched pair w/new hb.

Might as well shlep back to dealer tomorrow for key in case I lose it (fair-to-hi-probability), need tranny pan gasket anyway.

Don't understand why it's not included in oem box, box was sealed when I bought it.

Thank you,

Last edited:
mikeny59 said:
Not so much worried about losing the original key, but was unsure if it needed to replaced automatically as a pair w/new hb.

Might as well shlep back to dealer tomorrow for key in case I lose it (fair-to-hi-probability), need tranny pan gasket anyway.

Don't understand why it's not included in oem box, box was sealed when I bought it.

Thank you,

I repeat, key is part of the shaft, not part of the balancer, it's only purpose is to keep it from spinning on the crank. Be prepared for the dealer one not fitting, he's probably going to pull out a plastic case with 40 little dividers in it with 40 different key sizes so measure carefully before you leave home. They are not a wear item by the way...Sears usually has a good selection, usually included with one of those 40 pocket divided containers which is probably where the dealer go it too... Also note whether your original key is slightly tapered or straight sided, they should go in with some what of a tight fit.

RichP said:
Key is cut for the shaft, if you loose the old one you need to get an assortment of new ones and find the closest fit then go to work with a file to fine tune it :D

Reread post, got it, thanks...:dunce:

RichP said:

every aftermarket I've seen comes with a new key that fit perfectly.

philip_g said:
every aftermarket I've seen comes with a new key that fit perfectly.

The last 4 we got for various friends did not have them. What brand are you getting ? Been getting ours from car quest...
I actually never thought anyting of it, working with electric motors they rarely put new keys in with new pulleys, can't even remember the last time I got one with...

RichP said:
The last 4 we got for various friends did not have them. What brand are you getting ? Been getting ours from car quest...
I actually never thought anyting of it, working with electric motors they rarely put new keys in with new pulleys, can't even remember the last time I got one with...

Which would makes sense seeing they keys' matched up to shaft... learn supin' new everyday...

Mine came with a new key, but I just reused the old one. Took about an hour to replace. I bought a $7 harmonic balancer puller from the parts store, worked great.

mikeny59 said:
Which would makes sense seeing they keys' matched up to shaft... learn supin' new everyday...

that's the point, I'm not convinced that they are matched tot he crank.
In previous threads people have mentioned that they're matched to the pulley so go figure.

philip_g said:
that's the point, I'm not convinced that they are matched tot he crank.
In previous threads people have mentioned that they're matched to the pulley so go figure.

Heck, for all I know theres an industry standard out there someplace that says if you use a certain diameter hole the key has to be a certain size. Like I said, never been an issue. The last couple of crankshafts I bought came with them though attached to a little baggie taped to the counter weight. I've always just resused the one I had and if I lost it I'd go a real parts store or one of our good old time hardware stores. All it does is keep the pulley from spinning on the shaft. I have a little parts drawer full of them from the old reel to reel tape drives I used to repair, the computer kind, all those motors used a standard woodruff key now that I'm thinking about it, different motor manufacturers but all the same key. It would keep the hub from spinning.

RichP said:
Heck, for all I know theres an industry standard out there someplace that says if you use a certain diameter hole the key has to be a certain size. Like I said, never been an issue. The last couple of crankshafts I bought came with them though attached to a little baggie taped to the counter weight. I've always just resused the one I had and if I lost it I'd go a real parts store or one of our good old time hardware stores. All it does is keep the pulley from spinning on the shaft. I have a little parts drawer full of them from the old reel to reel tape drives I used to repair, the computer kind, all those motors used a standard woodruff key now that I'm thinking about it, different motor manufacturers but all the same key. It would keep the hub from spinning.

I think there probably is. In the past people have told me you HAVE to use the key supplied with the crank, yet wouldn't the keyway on the crank and pulley need to be the same? Hrmmmmm.

Back